Frisch's Vegetable Soup is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold day or whenever you're in the mood for a warm and satisfying meal.
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Soups
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 60 calories
- Ingredients - Instructions - Tips - Serving - Substitutes
Frisch's Vegetable Soup
About this recipe
Frisch's Vegetable Soup is a popular soup that is served in Frisch's Big Boy restaurants. While the exact recipe is a closely guarded secret, the soup is known for its rich, comforting flavor and hearty vegetables.
What makes Frisch's Vegetable Soup stand out is the fresh, high-quality ingredients that are used to make it.
The soup is typically made with a variety of vegetables, including celery, carrots, onions, and green beans, all of which are diced and cooked until tender. The vegetables are then simmered in a flavorful broth that is seasoned with herbs and spices, giving the soup a delicious, savory flavor.
One of the things that people love about Frisch's Vegetable Soup is its versatility. It can be served as a starter, a main course, or even as a side dish. Some people like to add additional ingredients to the soup, such as diced potatoes, corn, or peas, to make it even heartier.
Origin of Frisch's Vegetable Soup recipe
Frisch's Vegetable Soup is a recipe that has been closely guarded by Frisch's Big Boy restaurants for many years, so the exact origin of the recipe is not clear.
However, Frisch's Big Boy has been serving customers since the early 1900s, and it is likely that the recipe for their vegetable soup has been refined over time to become the delicious dish it is today.
It is known that Frisch's Big Boy restaurants were founded by Dave Frisch and his family in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1939. The restaurant chain quickly became known for its classic American comfort food, including burgers, fries, and of course, their famous vegetable soup.
Over the years, Frisch's Big Boy has become a beloved institution in the Midwest, with many loyal customers returning for their delicious and satisfying meals.
While the exact recipe for their vegetable soup remains a mystery, it is clear that the soup has been a popular menu item for many years and continues to be a favorite among diners.
Why make this recipe?
There are several reasons why you should try making Frisch's Vegetable Soup or a similar recipe at home:
- Healthy: Vegetable soup is a great way to get in your daily dose of vegetables, which are rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Plus, making the soup at home allows you to control the ingredients and avoid excess sodium or other unhealthy additives that may be present in store-bought soups.
- Budget-friendly: Making soup at home can be a cost-effective way to feed your family. The ingredients for vegetable soup are generally affordable, and you can make a large batch to last for several meals.
- Comfort food: Vegetable soup is a classic comfort food that can warm you up and make you feel cozy on a cold day. Plus, the aroma of the soup simmering on the stove can create a welcoming and inviting atmosphere in your home.
- Versatile: Vegetable soup is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. You can add your favorite vegetables or proteins, adjust the seasoning to your taste, and even experiment with different types of broth to create a unique flavor profile.
- Family-friendly: Vegetable soup is a dish that the whole family can enjoy. Kids may be more likely to try new vegetables when they are in soup form, and you can involve them in the cooking process by having them help with chopping or stirring.
What does Frisch's Vegetable Soup taste like?
Frisch's Vegetable Soup is known for its comforting and savory flavor. While the exact recipe is a closely guarded secret, it typically includes a variety of vegetables, such as onions, carrots, celery, and green beans, along with diced tomatoes and herbs like thyme and oregano.
The combination of these ingredients creates a rich, flavorful broth that is both sweet and savory, with a slight tanginess from the tomatoes.
The vegetables in the soup are also cooked until they are tender, but still retain some texture, giving the soup a hearty and satisfying feel.
What would you need for this recipe?
For this recipe, we will be needing the following ingredients:
- Olive oil: Used as a base for sautéing vegetables and adding flavor.
- Onion: Adds a sweet and savory flavor to the soup and is a common base for many soup recipes.
- Garlic: Adds a depth of flavor and aroma to the soup.
- Celery: Provides a crunchy texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
- Carrots: Adds sweetness and color to the soup.
- Bell pepper: Adds a sweet and slightly tangy flavor and vibrant color to the soup.
- Zucchini: Adds a tender texture and mild flavor to the soup.
- Green beans: Provides a slightly crunchy texture and a fresh, green flavor.
- Diced tomatoes: Adds a sweet and tangy flavor and helps to create a rich broth.
- Vegetable broth: Used as a base for the soup and provides a savory flavor.
- Thyme and oregano: Herbs that add depth of flavor and aroma to the soup.
Meanwhile, there are many variations of vegetable soups out there and you can customize the ingredients to your liking, adding or omitting vegetables as desired.
The equipment needed for making vegetable soup is relatively simple and can be easily substituted with items you may already have in your kitchen.
- Large pot or Dutch oven: A large pot or Dutch oven is essential for cooking the soup. If you don't have a large pot, you can use a deep skillet or sauté pan instead, but you may need to cook the vegetables in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Cutting board and sharp knife: A cutting board and sharp knife are necessary for chopping the vegetables. If you don't have a sharp knife, you can use a serrated knife or a vegetable peeler to prepare the vegetables.
- Wooden spoon or spatula: A wooden spoon or spatula is useful for stirring the soup and preventing it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If you don't have a wooden spoon, you can use a metal spoon or spatula instead.
- Immersion blender (optional): An immersion blender is useful for pureeing the soup to create a smooth texture. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a blender or food processor, but be sure to allow the soup to cool slightly before blending to avoid burns or spills.
- Ladle: A ladle is useful for serving the soup. If you don't have a ladle, you can use a large spoon or measuring cup instead.
How to make Frisch's Vegetable Soup
Now, get ready learn how to make Frisch's Vegetable Soup - a delicious and comforting soup filled with hearty vegetables and beans. Perfect for a cozy meal at home!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions to follow
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, bell pepper, and zucchini, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How do you serve Frisch's Vegetable Soup recipe?
After making Frisch's Vegetable Soup, you can serve it in a variety of ways depending on your preference. Here are a few ideas:
- In a soup bowl: The most traditional way to serve vegetable soup is in a soup bowl. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and serve with crackers, bread, or croutons on the side.
- In a bread bowl: To make a bread bowl, hollow out a round loaf of bread and fill it with the soup. This creates a fun and creative way to serve the soup and adds a delicious flavor and texture from the bread.
- As a side dish: Vegetable soup can also be served as a side dish to a main course. Serve a small portion alongside your favorite protein, such as grilled chicken or fish.
- As a base for other dishes: If you have leftovers, you can use the soup as a base for other dishes, such as a vegetable pot pie or a stew. Simply add additional vegetables or protein and simmer until heated through.
Rated: 4.0 of 5.0 from 484 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Frisch's Vegetable Soup, Frisch's Vegetable Soup Recipe, Recipe
What to serve with?
Frisch's Vegetable Soup can be enjoyed on its own as a main course, or it can be served with a variety of sides to make a more complete meal. Here are a few ideas for what to serve with the soup:
- Bread or crackers: A classic accompaniment to soup is a slice of bread or a handful of crackers. Serve some crusty bread, such as a baguette or sourdough, on the side of the soup, or add a few crackers to the top of the soup for some extra crunch.
- Salad: Serve a simple green salad on the side of the soup for a lighter and fresher addition to the meal. A side salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, and a light vinaigrette would complement the soup well.
- Grilled cheese sandwich: A classic grilled cheese sandwich is a perfect pairing with vegetable soup. Simply butter two slices of bread, add some sliced cheese, and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or sweet potatoes, would make a delicious and healthy side dish to the soup.
My recommendations and tips for you
See some useful recommendations and tips to help you make the best Frisch's Vegetable Soup:
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients: The key to making a delicious vegetable soup is using fresh, high-quality ingredients. Choose fresh vegetables and herbs, and use a good-quality vegetable or chicken broth to create a flavorful base for the soup.
- Prep all the ingredients before cooking: Before you start cooking, make sure to prep all the ingredients. This includes chopping the vegetables, measuring out the herbs and spices, and opening the cans of diced tomatoes and beans. This will make the cooking process much smoother and easier.
- Cook the vegetables in stages: To ensure that all the vegetables are cooked properly, cook them in stages, starting with the onions and garlic, then adding the carrots and celery, and finally adding the green beans and tomatoes. This will allow each vegetable to cook to its optimal level of tenderness.
- Don't overcook the vegetables: It's important not to overcook the vegetables in the soup, as they will turn mushy and lose their texture. Keep an eye on the soup and remove it from the heat once the vegetables are just tender.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste: Once the soup is cooked, taste it and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may need to add more salt, pepper, or herbs to balance the flavors.
- Serve with your favorite accompaniments: Finally, serve the soup with your favorite accompaniments, such as bread, crackers, or a salad, to make a complete and satisfying meal.
How to store Frisch's Vegetable Soup
To store Frisch's Vegetable Soup, allow it to cool to room temperature and transfer it to an airtight container. You can store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you're storing the soup in the refrigerator, make sure to reheat it thoroughly before serving. You can reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. You can also reheat it in the microwave by heating it on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
When freezing the soup, make sure to use a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. You can freeze the soup in single portions or in larger batches. To thaw the soup, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. You can then reheat the soup using the stovetop or microwave method mentioned above.
Potential ingredients substitutes
Below here, we have some ingredient substitutes for Frisch's Vegetable Soup recipe:
- Vegetables substitute: You can substitute the vegetables in the recipe with other vegetables of your choice, such as zucchini, cauliflower, or butternut squash. Just keep in mind that some vegetables may have a longer or shorter cooking time, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Herbs and Spices substitute: If you don't have all the herbs and spices listed in the recipe, you can substitute them with other herbs and spices that you have on hand. For example, you can use dried thyme instead of fresh, or add some cumin or paprika for a different flavor.
- Broth substitute: If you don't have vegetable broth, you can use chicken broth or beef broth instead. You can also use water and bouillon cubes as a substitute for broth.
- Canned Tomatoes substitute: If you don't have canned diced tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes instead. Simply dice them and add them to the soup. You can also use canned whole tomatoes and crush them with a spoon before adding them to the soup.
- Beans substitute: If you don't have canned white beans, you can use other canned beans, such as kidney beans, chickpeas, or black beans. You can also use dried beans that have been soaked and cooked according to package instructions.
In conclusion, Frisch's Vegetable Soup is a delicious and comforting soup that's easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With its hearty blend of vegetables and beans, fragrant herbs and spices, and flavorful broth, this soup is sure to warm you up and satisfy your hunger. By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can make a batch of this soup in no time and enjoy it with your family and friends. Whether you're looking for a healthy and nutritious meal or just a cozy bowl of soup to warm you up on a chilly day, Frisch's Vegetable Soup is the perfect choice. So, grab your apron and give this recipe a try - your taste buds will thank you!