Jason's Deli's broccoli cheese soup is a creamy soup made with fresh broccoli, shredded cheddar cheese, and a blend of seasonings. It is usually served hot and topped with additional cheese or croutons.
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Appetizer
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 300 calories
- Ingredients - Instructions - Tips - Serving - Substitutes
Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup
About this recipe
Jason's Deli's broccoli cheese soup is a mouthwatering dish that is sure to leave you feeling warm and satisfied. If you're a fan of creamy soups, you're in for a treat! This soup is made from fresh broccoli and is infused with the rich, savory flavor of cheddar cheese.
To make this soup, fresh broccoli is cooked until it is soft and tender, and then combined with a smooth, creamy mixture of milk and cheese. The result is a soup that is velvety, rich, and full of flavor. The cheese adds an extra layer of depth and richness to the soup, making it a comforting and indulgent treat.
When you take your first bite, you'll notice the creaminess of the soup and the tender, slightly bitter taste of the broccoli. The cheese adds a sharp, tangy flavor that compliments the broccoli perfectly, creating a delicious harmony of tastes and textures.
At Jason's Deli, the broccoli cheese soup is usually served hot and is topped with shredded cheese and croutons. You can enjoy it on its own or pair it with a sandwich or salad for a more complete meal.
Whether you're a soup enthusiast or just looking for a cozy comfort food, Jason's Deli's broccoli cheese soup is definitely worth trying. So, next time you're in the mood for something warm and delicious, give it a try!
Origin of the recipe
The exact origin of Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup recipe is unknown, as the recipe is proprietary to the restaurant and has not been publicly disclosed. However, broccoli cheese soup is a popular dish that has been enjoyed for many years in various forms and variations.
It is believed that broccoli cheese soup originated in the United States, likely in the Midwest region, where cheese and dairy are prevalent. The first published recipe for broccoli cheese soup appeared in a cookbook called "The Campbell Cookbook" in 1978, which was created by the Campbell Soup Company.
Since then, many restaurants and home cooks have created their own versions of the soup, incorporating various ingredients and flavors.
Jason's Deli is a popular chain of deli restaurants that originated in Beaumont, Texas in 1976. Over the years, the restaurant has expanded to many locations across the United States, and has become known for its fresh ingredients, healthy options, and tasty soups.
The broccoli cheese soup has become one of Jason's Deli's most popular menu items, loved by many customers for its creamy texture and comforting flavor.
Why make this recipe?
If you're a fan of hearty, comforting soups, Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup is definitely worth trying! Here are a few reasons why you should give it a taste:
- It's delicious and satisfying: The combination of fresh broccoli and rich cheddar cheese creates a mouthwatering flavor that is sure to leave you feeling warm and satisfied. The soup is creamy, savory, and full of comforting flavors that are perfect for a cold or rainy day.
- It's easy to make: While we don't have access to Jason's Deli's exact recipe, broccoli cheese soup is generally easy to make at home. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious and nutritious soup ready in no time.
- It's nutritious: Broccoli is a highly nutritious vegetable that is rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. When combined with cheese and other ingredients, it makes for a nutritious and filling meal that will leave you feeling energized and satisfied.
- It's versatile: Broccoli cheese soup can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a variety of different foods. Serve it with crusty bread, a side salad, or a sandwich for a complete and satisfying meal.
- It's a classic American comfort food: Broccoli cheese soup is a classic American comfort food that has been enjoyed for generations. By trying this recipe, you'll be able to experience a delicious and comforting dish that is loved by many people across the United States.
Take it or leave it, Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup is a delicious and nutritious meal that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. So why not give it a try? You just might discover a new favorite soup!
What does Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup taste like?
The soup is creamy, cheesy, and comforting, with a rich and savory flavor. The broccoli is cooked to a tender texture and provides a slightly sweet and earthy taste, which is complemented by the sharpness of the cheddar cheese.
Some versions of the soup may also include additional ingredients like bacon or potatoes, which can add even more depth and flavor to the dish.
What would you need for this recipe?
While we don't have access to Jason's Deli's exact recipe, here are some common ingredients that are used in this close to perfection broccoli cheese soup:
- Broccoli: This is the star ingredient in the soup and provides a nutritious and flavorful base. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that is rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a popular choice for broccoli cheese soup, as it has a sharp and creamy flavor that pairs well with the broccoli. Other cheeses, such as Gouda or Swiss, can also be used to add variety to the soup.
- Butter: This is typically used to sauté the vegetables and add richness to the soup. You can substitute with margarine or oil if you prefer.
- Onion and garlic: These aromatics add depth and flavor to the soup. They can be sautéed with the butter before adding the broccoli and other ingredients.
- Flour: This is used to thicken the soup and create a creamy consistency. It's important to cook the flour for a few minutes to remove the raw taste.
- Chicken or vegetable broth: Broth is used as the liquid base of the soup. Chicken or vegetable broth can be used depending on your preference.
- Milk or cream: This is added to the soup to make it creamy and rich. You can use whole milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream depending on how rich you want the soup to be.
- Spices: Spices such as salt, black pepper, and nutmeg are commonly used to add flavor to the soup.
Also, you will need fairly basic equipment for making broccoli cheese soup and they can be easily substituted with common kitchen tools if necessary. As long as you have a large pot, cutting board, knife, and ladle, you should be able to make a delicious and satisfying soup at home.
For the record, let me Highlight the equipment you will be needing in this recipe efforts.
- Large soup pot or Dutch oven: This is used to cook the soup on the stove. It's important to use a large pot so that all of the ingredients can fit comfortably and cook evenly. If you don't have a soup pot, you can use a large saucepan or stockpot as a substitute.
- Cutting board and chef's knife: These are used to chop the broccoli and other vegetables. A sharp knife and sturdy cutting board are important for safe and efficient food preparation.
- Grater or food processor: This is used to grate the cheese, which is a key ingredient in the soup. A food processor can also be used to quickly chop the vegetables, although this is not essential.
- Immersion blender or regular blender: This is used to puree some or all of the soup to achieve a smooth and creamy texture. An immersion blender is a handheld tool that is easy to use and clean, while a regular blender requires transferring the soup to the blender in batches.
- Ladle: This is used to serve the soup. A soup ladle is a specialized tool with a deep bowl and long handle, but you can also use a large spoon as a substitute.
- Wooden spoon: This is used to stir the soup as it cooks. A wooden spoon is ideal because it won't scratch the bottom of the pot, but you can also use a heat-resistant silicone or metal spoon as a substitute.
How to make Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup
Indulge in the rich and creamy flavor of Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup recipe. This comforting soup is perfect for any occasion and easy to make with fresh ingredients. Try it today and savor the delicious taste of healthy broccoli combined with the cheesy goodness. Follow us in the making.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
Instructions to follow
- Steam or boil the broccoli florets until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and broth until the mixture is smooth. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked broccoli to the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt as needed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
How do you serve Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe?
After making Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup recipe, here are the steps to serve it:
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls. Make sure to get a good mix of broccoli and cheese in each bowl.
- Optionally, you can top the soup with additional shredded cheese, croutons, or bacon bits for added flavor and texture.
- Serve the soup hot and enjoy! This soup is perfect as a standalone meal or as a starter to a larger dinner.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 768 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup, Jason's Deli Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe, Recipe
What to serve with?
Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup is a hearty and filling soup that can be served as a standalone meal or as a starter to a larger dinner. In fact, there are many dishes that would pair well with the soup.
I have here are some suggestions for dishes that would pair well with the soup:
- Grilled cheese sandwich: A classic pairing with any soup, a grilled cheese sandwich is the perfect complement to the rich and savory flavors of the soup.
- Garlic bread: A warm and toasty garlic bread would be a great accompaniment to the soup. The garlic and butter flavors would complement the soup's richness.
- Salad: A light and refreshing salad would provide a nice contrast to the hearty soup. A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing would work well.
- Breadsticks: Breadsticks are another classic pairing with soup. They are perfect for dipping into the soup and soaking up all the delicious flavors.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or carrots would add some variety and color to the meal.
My recommendations and tips for you
- Be sure of your ingredients quality: The quality of the ingredients will have a significant impact on the flavor of the soup. Be sure to use fresh broccoli, good quality cheddar cheese, and high-quality chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Blend the soup: For a creamier texture, blend some or all of the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. This will help to create a smoother texture and make the soup more velvety.
- Be patient when adding the cheese: To prevent the soup from becoming grainy, add the cheese gradually and stir constantly. Avoid adding too much cheese at once or letting the soup boil after the cheese has been added.
- Add additional seasonings as desired: To customize the soup to your liking, you can add additional seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, or paprika.
- Serve the soup hot: The soup is best served hot, so be sure to reheat it if necessary before serving.
- Store the leftovers properly: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Any storage ideas?
Sure, here are some tips for storing Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup:
- Refrigeration: If you have any leftovers, allow the soup to cool to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing: You can also freeze the soup for longer storage. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Label the container or bag with the date and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thawing: To thaw frozen soup, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can heat the soup directly from frozen on the stovetop, but this may take longer and can cause the soup to separate.
- Reheating: To reheat the soup, transfer it to a saucepan and heat it gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until it's heated through. You can also reheat the soup in the microwave by heating it in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until it's heated through.
It's important to note that when reheating the soup, it may thicken or separate slightly. You can adjust the consistency by adding a little bit of milk or broth as needed and whisking it until smooth.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Broccoli substitute: You can substitute broccoli with other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower or Brussels sprouts.
- Butter substitute: You can use margarine or vegetable oil instead of butter if you prefer.
- All-purpose flour substitute: You can use cornstarch or rice flour as a gluten-free substitute for all-purpose flour.
- Chicken or vegetable broth substitute: You can use water or milk as a substitute for broth if you don't have any on hand.
- Cheddar cheese substitute: You can substitute cheddar cheese with any other type of melting cheese such as Colby, Monterey Jack, or Gouda.
- Half and half substitute: You can use heavy cream or milk as a substitute for half and half.
- Salt and pepper substitute: You can adjust the amount of salt and pepper to your liking or add other seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, or paprika.
It's important to note that substituting ingredients may affect the flavor and texture of the soup, so try to stick to the original recipe as much as possible for the best results.
In closing, Jason's Deli broccoli cheese soup recipe is a comforting and delicious soup that is perfect for any occasion. With its creamy texture and rich flavor, it's sure to become a family favorite.
Remember to use fresh and high-quality ingredients, and follow the recipe carefully for the best results. Feel free to experiment with the seasonings and toppings to make it your own.
Whether you're serving it as a main course or a side dish, this soup is a great way to enjoy the healthy benefits of broccoli while indulging in the cheesy goodness. So go ahead and give this recipe a try - you won't be disappointed!