Dr. Berg Bread Recipe: A Nutritious and Low-Carb Delight for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Low-Carb Bread, Keto-friendly Bread
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 150 calories
Dr Berg Bread
About this recipe
Dr. Berg's bread is a popular recipe among those following a low-carb or keto lifestyle. It's a delicious alternative to traditional bread that's made with high-carb ingredients like wheat flour.
This bread is specifically designed to be low in carbohydrates and suitable for people who are looking to reduce their carb intake while still enjoying a tasty bread-like option.
The main ingredients used in Dr. Berg's bread are almond flour, ground flaxseed meal, and psyllium husk powder. These ingredients provide a nutritious and low-carb base for the bread. Almond flour is made from finely ground almonds and is a great alternative to wheat flour, as it's low in carbs and high in healthy fats and protein.
Ground flaxseed meal adds a nice texture and also contributes healthy fats and dietary fiber. Psyllium husk powder, which is derived from the seeds of the Plantago ovata plant, acts as a binding agent and helps give the bread a more bread-like consistency.
To bring the ingredients together, eggs are used as a binding agent and provide moisture to the bread. Coconut oil, which is a healthy source of fat, is melted and added to the batter for richness and flavor.
Unsweetened almond milk is included to further moisten the bread, and apple cider vinegar helps activate the baking powder and enhance the rise of the bread.
Once all the ingredients are mixed together, the batter is poured into a loaf pan and baked in the oven until golden brown and cooked through. The resulting bread has a slightly dense texture with a nice crumb and a mild nutty flavor.
Dr. Berg's bread is a versatile option that can be enjoyed in many ways. You can use it to make sandwiches, toast it and top it with your favorite spreads, or simply enjoy it on its own. It's a great alternative for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake and want to include bread in their diet while following a low-carb or keto lifestyle.
Remember that while Dr. Berg's bread is lower in carbs compared to traditional bread, it still contains calories, so it's essential to factor that into your overall dietary goals. Enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Recipe origin and background
Dr. Berg's bread recipe is a creation of Dr. Eric Berg, a well-known health educator, chiropractor, and functional medicine practitioner. Dr. Berg has been actively involved in promoting healthy lifestyles and providing valuable health information through his books, videos, and online platforms.
The recipe itself is part of Dr. Berg's emphasis on low-carb and keto-friendly eating. It is designed to provide an alternative to traditional bread that is often high in carbohydrates, which can impact blood sugar levels and hinder weight loss efforts for individuals following low-carb or ketogenic diets.
Dr. Berg's bread recipe incorporates low-carb ingredients like almond flour, ground flaxseed meal, and psyllium husk powder to create a bread that is lower in carbohydrates while still providing a satisfying bread-like experience. The recipe has gained popularity among individuals following low-carb and keto lifestyles who are looking for a bread option that aligns with their dietary goals.
Dr. Berg's bread recipe has been shared and adapted across various online platforms, making it accessible to a wide audience interested in healthy eating and alternative bread options. Its origin lies in Dr. Berg's dedication to promoting wellness and providing practical solutions for individuals seeking to improve their health through nutrition and lifestyle choices.
It's important to note that while Dr. Berg's bread recipe has gained popularity, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant changes to your diet, especially if you have specific dietary concerns or health conditions. They can provide personalized guidance based on your individual needs and help you make informed choices regarding your dietary preferences.
Why try this Dr Berg Bread recipe?
Here are a few reasons why you might want to give Dr. Berg's bread recipe a try:
- Low-carb and Keto-Friendly: If you're following a low-carb or keto lifestyle, this bread is a great option. It's specifically designed to be low in carbohydrates, making it a suitable choice for those looking to reduce their carb intake while still enjoying bread-like goodness. It allows you to satisfy your bread cravings without compromising your dietary goals.
- Nutritious Ingredients: Dr. Berg's bread is made with ingredients like almond flour, ground flaxseed meal, and psyllium husk powder. These ingredients are not only low in carbs but also offer nutritional benefits. Almond flour provides healthy fats and protein, while ground flaxseed meal adds dietary fiber. Psyllium husk powder contributes to the bread's texture and offers additional fiber.
- Versatile and Delicious: This bread is incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. You can use it to make sandwiches, toast it and top it with your favorite spreads, or simply enjoy it on its own. The mild nutty flavor and satisfying texture make it a delightful option for breakfast, lunch, or a quick snack.
- Homemade Goodness: By making Dr. Berg's bread at home, you have control over the ingredients, ensuring that you're using high-quality and wholesome components. Plus, baking your own bread can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience, allowing you to experiment with flavors and customize it to your liking.
- Healthier Alternative: Traditional bread made from wheat flour can be high in carbohydrates and may cause blood sugar spikes in some individuals. Dr. Berg's bread, on the other hand, offers a healthier alternative that fits well within a low-carb or keto lifestyle. It can help you maintain stable blood sugar levels and support your overall health and wellness.
Remember, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian if you have specific dietary concerns or health conditions. They can provide personalized advice based on your individual needs. So why not give Dr. Berg's bread recipe a try and enjoy a tasty, low-carb bread option?
What does Dr Berg Bread taste like?
Dr. Berg's bread has a unique and pleasant taste. It has a mildly nutty flavor with a subtle sweetness from the almond flour. The combination of almond flour, ground flaxseed meal, and psyllium husk powder creates a distinctive taste that sets it apart from traditional wheat-based bread.
The texture of the bread is slightly dense, similar to a hearty, whole-grain bread. It has a satisfying crumb and holds together well, making it suitable for various uses like sandwiches or toast.
When toasted, the bread develops a delightful crunch on the outside while maintaining a soft and tender interior. It pairs well with a variety of spreads, such as butter, nut butter, or sugar-free jams, enhancing the overall taste experience.
The flavors of Dr. Berg's bread work harmoniously with both savory and sweet toppings, allowing you to get creative with how you enjoy it. Whether you prefer it as a base for sandwiches, a vessel for avocado toast, or simply as a side to a meal, the taste of this bread adds a satisfying element to your low-carb or keto-friendly options.
Ultimately, the best way to truly experience the taste of Dr. Berg's bread is to give the recipe a try and savor it for yourself. It might become your new go-to bread alternative that not only supports your dietary goals but also provides a flavorful and enjoyable bread experience.
What is in Dr Berg Bread?
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is made from finely ground almonds. It is a gluten-free and low-carb alternative to traditional wheat flour. Almond flour is high in healthy fats, protein, and fiber, making it a nutritious choice for low-carb and keto recipes.
- Ground Flaxseed Meal: Ground flaxseed meal is made from ground flaxseeds. It is a good source of dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and lignans. Flaxseed meal adds texture and contributes to the overall nutritional profile of the bread.
- Psyllium Husk Powder: Psyllium husk powder is derived from the seeds of the Plantago ovata plant. It is high in soluble fiber and acts as a binding agent in recipes. Psyllium husk powder helps give the bread structure and improves its texture.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is a leavening agent that helps the bread rise. It contains a combination of sodium bicarbonate, an acid, and a moisture-absorbing agent. When mixed with liquid and heated, it produces carbon dioxide gas, resulting in a lighter and fluffier texture.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt is a mineral-rich salt that adds flavor and enhances the overall taste of the bread. It also helps balance the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent and provide structure to the bread. They also contribute moisture and protein to the recipe.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a healthy source of fat that adds richness and flavor to the bread. It is solid at room temperature but melts when heated, providing moisture to the bread.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: Unsweetened almond milk is a dairy-free and low-carb alternative to regular milk. It adds moisture to the bread and helps create a tender crumb.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is used in small amounts to activate the baking powder and help the bread rise. It also adds a subtle tanginess to the flavor.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Mixing Bowl: A medium-sized mixing bowl is needed to combine the dry and wet ingredients. Glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowls are good options.
- Whisk or Fork: A whisk or fork is used to thoroughly mix the wet ingredients together, ensuring they are well incorporated.
- Loaf Pan: A loaf pan is used to shape the bread dough and give it structure as it bakes. The standard size for a loaf pan is approximately 9 x 5 inches (23 x 13 cm). If you don't have a loaf pan, you can use a round cake pan or even shape the dough into a free-form loaf on a baking sheet.
- Parchment Paper or Grease: To prevent the bread from sticking to the loaf pan, you can either line it with parchment paper or grease it with oil or butter.
- Spatula or Spoon: A spatula or spoon is useful for mixing the ingredients and transferring the batter into the loaf pan.
- Oven: You'll need an oven to bake the bread. Make sure your oven is preheated to the specified temperature in the recipe.
How to make Dr Berg Bread
Discover the mouthwatering Dr. Berg bread recipe! Low-carb, gluten-free, and packed with nutritious ingredients for a healthier bread alternative.
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup psyllium husk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, ground flaxseed meal, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well to ensure all the dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted coconut oil, almond milk, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is well combined and there are no lumps.
- Let the batter sit for a few minutes to allow the psyllium husk powder to absorb some of the moisture and thicken the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
How to serve Dr Berg Bread
- Cooling: Once the bread is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the loaf pan for a few minutes. This allows the bread to set and firm up slightly before handling.
- Transfer to a Cooling Rack: After a few minutes, carefully remove the bread from the loaf pan. If you used parchment paper, gently lift the paper to transfer the bread to a cooling rack. If you greased the pan, use a spatula or butter knife to loosen the sides of the bread before lifting it out. Placing the bread on a cooling rack allows air to circulate around it, helping it cool evenly and preventing the bottom from becoming soggy.
- Cooling Completely: Allow the bread to cool completely on the cooling rack. This usually takes about 1-2 hours. It's important to let it cool fully to ensure the texture sets properly.
- Slicing: Once the bread has cooled, it's ready to be sliced. Use a sharp bread knife or a serrated knife to achieve clean and even slices. The thickness of the slices is up to your preference. You can go for thinner slices if you want to use it for sandwiches or toast, or thicker slices for a heartier snack.
- Serving Options: Dr. Berg's bread can be served in various ways:
- Toasted: Toast the bread slices in a toaster or toaster oven until they reach your desired level of crispness. Serve the toasted slices plain, or spread with butter, avocado, nut butter, or any other toppings you prefer.
- Sandwiches: Use the bread slices to make delicious and satisfying sandwiches. Fill them with your favorite ingredients such as sliced deli meats, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and condiments of your choice. The sturdy texture of the bread makes it ideal for holding sandwich fillings.
- Bread and Spreads: Enjoy the bread as a standalone snack by spreading it with butter, cream cheese, sugar-free jams or jellies, or other spreads of your liking.
- French Toast: Transform your Dr. Berg's bread into a delightful French toast. Dip the slices in a mixture of beaten eggs, unsweetened almond milk, and spices like cinnamon and vanilla extract. Cook the slices on a skillet until golden brown on both sides. Serve with a drizzle of sugar-free syrup or fresh berries.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 694 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Dr Berg Bread, Dr Berg Bread Recipe, Recipe, Top rated
What to serve Dr Berg Bread with
Dr. Berg's bread pairs well with a variety of toppings, spreads, and accompaniments. Here are some ideas for what you can serve with it:
- Butter or Ghee: Spread a layer of unsalted butter or ghee on a slice of Dr. Berg's bread for a simple and classic option. The richness of the butter complements the nutty flavor of the bread.
- Avocado: Mash ripe avocado with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Spread it on the bread for a creamy and nutritious topping. You can also add sliced tomatoes or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
- Nut Butter: Choose your favorite nut butter like almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter and spread it on the bread. This adds a deliciously creamy and protein-packed option.
- Sugar-Free Jams or Jellies: Opt for sugar-free fruit spreads or jams to add a touch of sweetness without the extra carbs. Spread a thin layer on the bread for a fruity and flavorful topping.
- Cheese: Slice some cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, or pepper jack, and place it on a slice of bread. You can enjoy it as is or melt the cheese on the bread by toasting it or heating it in the oven.
- Deli Meats and Fillings: Create a tasty sandwich by layering your choice of deli meats such as turkey, ham, roast beef, or chicken on the bread. Add some lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and condiments like mayo, mustard, or pesto for a satisfying meal.
- Egg-Based Toppings: Prepare scrambled eggs, fried eggs, or a fluffy omelet and place it on a slice of bread for a hearty breakfast or brunch option.
- Smoked Salmon: Top the bread with a smear of cream cheese or sour cream and add slices of smoked salmon. Garnish with fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon juice for a delicious and elegant open-faced sandwich.
- Guacamole or Salsa: If you're a fan of Mexican flavors, spread guacamole or salsa on the bread for a zesty and refreshing topping. You can also add some diced onions, cilantro, or jalapeños for extra flavor.
- Soup or Salad: Serve a slice of Dr. Berg's bread alongside a bowl of soup or a salad. The bread can be used for dipping into warm soups or as a side to complement a fresh salad.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to get creative and explore different flavor combinations that suit your taste preferences. Dr. Berg's bread is versatile, allowing you to enjoy it with a wide range of toppings and accompaniments.
My recommendations and tips
- Follow the Recipe: It's important to follow the recipe instructions accurately, especially when it comes to ingredient measurements and baking times. This will help ensure that your bread turns out as intended.
- Use High-Quality Ingredients: Opt for high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to almond flour and psyllium husk powder. Fresh ingredients can make a difference in the taste and texture of the bread.
- Measure Ingredients Precisely: Use measuring cups and spoons to accurately measure the ingredients, especially the dry ones like almond flour and psyllium husk powder. This will help maintain the right balance and consistency in the bread.
- Allow Sufficient Cooling Time: It's crucial to allow the bread to cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing or serving. This helps the bread set properly and prevents it from being too soft or crumbly.
- Experiment with Flavor Additions: While Dr. Berg's bread recipe provides a great base, don't be afraid to experiment with additional flavors and seasonings. You can add herbs, spices, or even grated cheese to customize the taste and create different variations of the bread.
- Store Properly: To maintain freshness, store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or refrigerate it for longer shelf life. Slice the bread as needed to retain its freshness and texture.
- Toast or Heat Before Serving: If you prefer warm bread or a slightly crisp texture, consider toasting the slices before serving. You can use a toaster, toaster oven, or even a skillet to lightly toast the bread. This adds an extra level of enjoyment to your bread experience.
- Customize Toppings and Fillings: Have fun exploring different toppings, spreads, and fillings to personalize your bread. Try different combinations of spreads, meats, cheeses, vegetables, and sauces to create your favorite sandwiches or snacks.
- Seek Professional Advice: If you have specific dietary concerns, health conditions, or questions, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian. They can provide personalized guidance based on your individual needs.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Almond Flour: If you have allergies or preferences, you can substitute almond flour with other nut flours like hazelnut flour, cashew flour, or macadamia nut flour. Keep in mind that each nut flour may have a slightly different texture and flavor.
- Ground Flaxseed Meal:
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds can be ground and used as a substitute for ground flaxseed meal. They also provide a good amount of fiber and healthy fats.
- Psyllium Husk Powder: If you don't have ground flaxseed meal or prefer not to use it, you can increase the amount of psyllium husk powder slightly to compensate. Psyllium husk powder will help provide structure to the bread.
- Psyllium Husk Powder:
- Xanthan Gum: Xanthan gum can be used as a substitute for psyllium husk powder in a 1:1 ratio. It acts as a binder and helps create a more bread-like texture.
- Ground Chia Seeds: Ground chia seeds can also be used as a substitute for psyllium husk powder. Use them in the same amount as the original recipe calls for.
- Baking Powder: If you don't have baking powder, you can use a combination of baking soda and an acid like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Use 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of acid for every teaspoon of baking powder called for in the recipe.
- Coconut Oil: If you prefer the flavor of butter or ghee, you can substitute them in equal amounts for coconut oil. Keep in mind that butter and ghee are not dairy-free options.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: If you don't have almond milk or prefer a different non-dairy option, you can use unsweetened coconut milk, cashew milk, or soy milk as substitutes. Choose a milk that suits your taste and dietary preferences.
- Storage: Dr. Berg's bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. However, keep in mind that the bread is moist and may have a shorter shelf life compared to commercially baked bread. If you want to extend its freshness, you can store it in the refrigerator for a longer duration.
- Freezing: If you want to keep the bread for an extended period, you can freeze it. Slice the bread before freezing, so you can easily thaw individual slices as needed. Place parchment paper between the slices to prevent them from sticking together. Frozen bread can be thawed at room temperature or lightly toasted straight from the freezer.
- Recipe Adaptations: While Dr. Berg's bread recipe is designed to be low-carb and suitable for a keto lifestyle, you can experiment with modifications and additions based on your preferences. For example, you can add herbs, spices, grated cheese, or even chopped nuts to enhance the flavor and texture of the bread.
- Nutritional Information: If you're following a specific dietary plan or tracking your macronutrient intake, it's a good idea to calculate the nutritional information for the bread based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Online nutrition calculators can help with this process.
- Personalization: Don't hesitate to personalize the recipe to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. You can adjust the seasoning, increase or decrease the sweetness, or experiment with different toppings and fillings to make the bread truly your own.
Indulge in the wholesome goodness of Dr. Berg's bread recipe, a low-carb and nutritious option that satisfies your bread cravings without compromising your health. Enjoy this delicious bread as part of your healthy lifestyle and culinary adventures!