Delicious and Creamy Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe: A Classic Side Dish for BBQs and Gatherings
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American, German
- Category: Side dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 200 calories
Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad
About this recipe
Mark's Feed Store potato salad is indeed a delightful side dish that perfectly complements their mouthwatering barbecue. Let me try to describe it for you.
Mark's Feed Store potato salad is a classic, creamy creation that captures the essence of Southern comfort food. It starts with a generous amount of boiled potatoes, typically red-skinned or Yukon gold, that are cooked until tender yet still hold their shape. The potatoes are then cooled and diced into bite-sized pieces.
Next, they add a medley of crunchy vegetables to the mix. Finely chopped celery and red onion provide a refreshing crunch and a hint of zing. The combination of these vegetables adds a pleasant texture and a nice contrast to the creamy dressing.
Speaking of the dressing, Mark's Feed Store potato salad features a creamy base that is rich, tangy, and slightly sweet. The dressing is a harmonious blend of mayonnaise, mustard, and a touch of vinegar. It provides the perfect balance of flavors, making the potato salad irresistibly delicious.
To further enhance the taste, some additional seasonings are often added. These can include salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and perhaps a dash of paprika or celery seed. These seasonings add depth and complexity, elevating the overall flavor profile of the salad.
Once all the ingredients are mixed together, the potato salad is chilled for a while to allow the flavors to meld. This also helps the salad develop a creamy consistency and allows the potatoes to absorb the dressing, resulting in a cohesive and delectable dish.
The final result is a potato salad that's creamy, tangy, and packed with flavor. It's a classic Southern-style side dish that brings comfort and satisfaction to any barbecue feast.
While I can't provide you with the exact recipe from Mark's Feed Store, I hope this recipe below gives you an idea and inspires you to recreate a delicious potato salad at home.
Recipe origin and background
Mark's Feed Store is a barbecue restaurant chain based in Louisville, Kentucky, with multiple locations in the area. While the exact origin of Mark's Feed Store's potato salad recipe is not publicly documented, it can be assumed that the recipe was developed in-house by the restaurant's culinary team.
Mark's Feed Store has been serving its barbecue and sides since 1988, and over the years, they have perfected their menu offerings to create a loyal customer base. The potato salad recipe has likely evolved and been refined based on customer feedback, culinary expertise, and regional influences.
Kentucky, where Mark's Feed Store is located, has a strong culinary tradition with influences from Southern and Midwestern cuisines. Southern-style potato salad typically includes mayonnaise-based dressings with a balance of tanginess and sweetness. It often features ingredients like celery, onion, and mustard, which provide texture, flavor, and a touch of zing.
In all, the background of Mark's Feed Store's potato salad recipe can be traced to the restaurant's commitment to quality, flavor, and regional influences, resulting in a recipe that has become a popular choice among their patrons.
Why try this Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad recipe?
Mark's Feed Store is known for its delicious barbecue and sides, including their potato salad. Here are some reasons why you might want to try Mark's Feed Store potato salad recipe:
- Authentic taste: Mark's Feed Store has developed their own unique recipe over the years, which has become a favorite among their customers. By trying their potato salad recipe, you have the opportunity to experience the authentic taste that has made it so popular.
- Reputed flavor: Mark's Feed Store has gained a reputation for their flavorful and high-quality dishes. Their potato salad is no exception. By following their recipe, you can expect a well-balanced combination of ingredients and seasonings that result in a tasty and satisfying potato salad.
- Tried and tested: As a restaurant that specializes in barbecue and comfort food, Mark's Feed Store has likely refined their potato salad recipe through extensive testing and customer feedback. By trying their recipe, you benefit from their experience and expertise.
- Recreate the dining experience: If you enjoy dining at Mark's Feed Store, trying their potato salad recipe at home allows you to recreate a part of the dining experience in your own kitchen. It's a way to bring a taste of the restaurant into your own home and share it with friends and family.
- Unique touches: Mark's Feed Store may have added their own unique touches or secret ingredients to their potato salad recipe, setting it apart from generic recipes. By following their recipe, you may discover some special elements that make their potato salad truly memorable.
What does Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad taste like?
Mark's Feed Store potato salad can be described as creamy, tangy, and flavorful.
The combination of mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar in the dressing provides a creamy and tangy base that enhances the overall taste of the salad. The dressing is typically well-balanced, with a hint of sweetness and a touch of acidity.
The boiled potatoes in the salad are cooked until tender, and their mild, earthy flavor pairs well with the creamy dressing. The potatoes may retain a slight firmness to provide a pleasant texture and bite.
The addition of finely chopped celery and red onion adds a refreshing crunch and a subtle savory note to the potato salad. These vegetables provide a nice contrast to the creamy dressing and help balance the overall flavors.
Meanwhile, the seasoning in Mark's Feed Store potato salad may vary, but common seasonings like salt, pepper, and possibly additional spices or herbs may be used to enhance the taste and add depth to the dish.
Mark's Feed Store potato salad has a well-rounded flavor profile, combining the creaminess of the dressing, the earthy taste of the potatoes, and the freshness of the vegetables.
What is in Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad?
- Potatoes: Choose red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes for their creamy texture and flavor. They should be washed, peeled (optional), and cut into bite-sized cubes before cooking.
- Mayonnaise: A creamy ingredient that forms the base of the dressing. It adds richness and smoothness to the potato salad.
- Mustard: Typically Dijon mustard is used, which adds a tangy and slightly sharp flavor to the dressing. It complements the creaminess of the mayonnaise.
- Vinegar: Commonly apple cider vinegar is used, although other types like white vinegar can also work. The vinegar adds acidity and helps balance the flavors of the dressing.
- Celery: Fresh celery adds a crunchy texture and a mild, slightly herbal taste to the potato salad. It provides a nice contrast to the creamy dressing.
- Red onion: Finely chopped red onion adds a pungent and slightly sweet flavor to the salad. It adds depth and complexity to the overall taste.
- Fresh parsley: Chopped parsley brings a touch of freshness and herbaceous flavor to the potato salad. It adds a vibrant green color as well.
- Salt and pepper: These common seasonings enhance the flavors of the potato salad. Add them according to your taste preferences.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Pot or saucepan: For boiling the potatoes. A medium-sized pot with a lid will work well. If you don't have a pot, a deep saucepan can be used as a substitute.
- Mixing bowl: A large mixing bowl is essential for combining the ingredients and tossing the potato salad. It should be big enough to accommodate all the ingredients comfortably. If you don't have a mixing bowl, a large salad bowl or even a clean basin can work as a substitute.
- Whisk or spoon: You'll need a whisk or spoon to mix the dressing ingredients together. A whisk is ideal for ensuring the dressing is smooth and well combined. If you don't have a whisk, a fork or spoon can be used to mix the ingredients.
- Cutting board and knife: You'll need a cutting board to chop the celery, onion, and parsley. A sharp knife is necessary for cutting the potatoes into cubes and finely chopping the vegetables. If you don't have a cutting board, a clean and sturdy surface like a plate or tray can be used. Similarly, any sharp knife that allows you to safely cut through the ingredients can be a substitute.
- Colander or strainer: A colander or strainer is useful for draining the boiled potatoes after cooking. If you don't have a colander, you can use the lid of the pot to carefully drain the water while holding back the potatoes.
- Refrigerator: While not an equipment item, having access to a refrigerator is important for chilling the potato salad before serving. It allows the flavors to meld and the salad to cool. Ensure you have enough space in your refrigerator to accommodate the mixing bowl or transfer the salad to a smaller container for chilling.
How to make Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad
Try Mark's Feed Store potato salad recipe for a creamy and flavorful side dish. Perfect for BBQs and gatherings. Quick and easy to make!
- 2 pounds (900 grams) red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Leave the skin on for added texture and nutrients. Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool completely before proceeding.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk together until well combined and smooth.
- Add the cooled potatoes to the bowl and gently mix them with the dressing until all the potatoes are coated.
- Add the chopped celery, red onion, and parsley to the bowl. Stir gently to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remember to start with a little salt and pepper, then adjust according to your preference.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld and the salad to chill.
- Before serving, give the potato salad a gentle stir and taste again for seasoning adjustments. You can garnish with additional parsley if desired.
How to serve Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad
- Prepare the potato salad: Follow the recipe instructions to make the potato salad, including boiling the potatoes, preparing the dressing, and combining all the ingredients. Make sure to taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Chill the potato salad: Once the potato salad is prepared, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate it for at least an hour. Chilling the salad allows the flavors to meld together and enhances its taste.
- Choose a serving dish: Select a clean and presentable serving dish that is large enough to hold the potato salad. A flat platter or a decorative bowl works well.
- Garnish (optional): Before transferring the potato salad to the serving dish, you can garnish it with additional chopped parsley or other toppings if desired. This adds visual appeal and freshness.
- Transfer the potato salad: Take the chilled potato salad out of the refrigerator. Give it a gentle stir to ensure the dressing is evenly distributed. Carefully transfer the salad from the mixing bowl to the chosen serving dish. Use a spoon or spatula to scoop it out, being mindful not to mash the potatoes.
- Final touches (optional): If desired, you can add some finishing touches to the presentation. For example, you could sprinkle a pinch of paprika or additional herbs on top of the salad. These small touches can elevate the visual appeal of the dish.
- Serve and enjoy: Place the serving dish with the potato salad on the table or buffet. You can serve the potato salad alongside your main course or as part of a larger spread. It pairs well with grilled meats, sandwiches, or as a side dish at picnics and barbecues. Provide serving utensils like spoons or forks for guests to help themselves.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 647 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad, Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe, Recipe, Top rated
What to serve Mark's Feed Store Potato Salad with
Potato salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses and other side dishes. Here are some popular options to consider serving with this potato salad:
- Barbecue dishes: Potato salad is often enjoyed alongside grilled or smoked meats such as barbecued ribs, pulled pork, grilled chicken, or brisket. The cool and creamy potato salad complements the smoky flavors of the barbecue.
- Burgers and sandwiches: Serve potato salad as a side dish with hamburgers, cheeseburgers, veggie burgers, or any type of sandwich. It adds a refreshing element to the meal and can be enjoyed as a contrast to the savory flavors of the sandwiches.
- Grilled or roasted chicken: Potato salad works well with grilled or roasted chicken. Whether you're serving chicken breasts, thighs, or a whole roasted chicken, the creamy and flavorful potato salad provides a delightful accompaniment.
- Seafood: Consider pairing potato salad with seafood dishes like grilled shrimp, fish fillets, or even a seafood boil. The creaminess of the potato salad complements the delicate flavors of seafood and adds a satisfying texture.
- Picnic or outdoor fare: Potato salad is a classic choice for picnics or outdoor gatherings. It goes well with picnic staples like fried chicken, deviled eggs, coleslaw, baked beans, and corn on the cob. The combination of these dishes creates a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
- Vegetarian options: Potato salad can be a delicious side dish for vegetarian meals. Serve it alongside grilled vegetables, vegetable skewers, tofu steaks, or veggie kebabs for a complete and flavorful vegetarian spread.
- Other salads: Potato salad can be part of a larger salad spread. Consider serving it alongside a green salad, pasta salad, or fruit salad to provide a variety of flavors and textures.
Ultimately, the choice of what to serve with potato salad depends on your personal preferences and the occasion. Feel free to mix and match different dishes to create a well-balanced and satisfying meal.
My recommendations and tips
- Choose quality ingredients: Choose fresh and high-quality ingredients for the best results. Select firm and waxy potatoes, fresh vegetables, and a good-quality mayonnaise and mustard. Fresh herbs and spices can also enhance the flavor.
- Seasoning: Don't forget to taste and adjust the seasoning of your potato salad. Add salt, pepper, and other seasonings gradually, tasting as you go. Remember that flavors can intensify after chilling, so it's better to slightly under-season initially and adjust later if needed.
- Texture: Pay attention to the texture of your potato salad. Ensure the potatoes are cooked until just tender but not overly soft, as you want them to hold their shape in the salad. Similarly, aim for a creamy dressing consistency that coats the potatoes evenly without being too thick or runny.
- Chilling: Allow enough time to chill the potato salad before serving. This helps the flavors meld together and allows the salad to cool down, which is particularly important if serving it at outdoor events or in warmer weather.
- Customization: Feel free to customize the recipe to your liking. You can add extra ingredients like hard-boiled eggs, crispy bacon, diced pickles, or fresh herbs such as dill or chives. Experiment with different variations to create a potato salad that suits your taste preferences.
- Serving and presentation: When serving the potato salad, ensure your serving dish is clean and presentable. You can garnish the salad with additional herbs, sprinkle paprika on top, or add a drizzle of extra dressing for visual appeal. Serving utensils should be provided, and consider offering small plates or bowls for guests to serve themselves.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator. Consume within a day or two for optimal freshness. Note that potato salad may slightly lose its texture over time, but it can still be enjoyed.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Potatoes: If you don't have access to red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, you can use other varieties like russet potatoes or even baby potatoes. Just keep in mind that different potato types can result in slightly different textures and flavors.
- Mayonnaise: If you prefer a healthier alternative to mayonnaise or if you have dietary restrictions, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt or sour cream. These options will provide a tangy and creamy base for the dressing. Adjust the amount to achieve the desired consistency and taste.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard is commonly used in potato salad recipes, but if you don't have it, you can substitute it with yellow mustard or whole grain mustard. The choice of mustard will impact the flavor profile of the dressing, so choose according to your taste preferences.
- Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is often used in potato salad, but if you don't have it, you can use white vinegar or even lemon juice as a substitute. The purpose of vinegar is to add acidity to the dressing, so any of these options will work.
- Celery: If you don't have celery, you can substitute it with diced bell peppers for a similar crunchy texture. Alternatively, you can omit it or replace it with other crunchy vegetables like cucumber or radishes.
- Red Onion: Red onion adds a distinct flavor to potato salad, but if you don't have it, you can substitute it with finely diced white or yellow onion. Alternatively, you can use shallots for a milder flavor.
- Fresh Parsley: If you don't have fresh parsley, you can substitute it with other fresh herbs like dill, chives, or cilantro. Each herb will bring a slightly different flavor profile to the potato salad, so choose based on your preference or what you have available.
- Adding ingredients gradually: When mixing the dressing with the potatoes and other ingredients, add it gradually and mix gently. This allows you to control the consistency and ensure that all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Adjusting consistency: If your potato salad seems too dry, you can add a little more mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, or sour cream to achieve a creamier texture. Conversely, if it appears too wet, you can add more chopped potatoes to absorb the excess moisture.
- Allowing flavors to meld: While potato salad can be enjoyed immediately after preparation, allowing it to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight can enhance the flavors. The ingredients have time to blend together, resulting in a more cohesive and flavorful salad.
- Food safety: When handling and storing potato salad, it's important to practice proper food safety. Keep it refrigerated until ready to serve, especially in warmer weather, to prevent bacterial growth. Discard any potato salad that has been left at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Making ahead: You can prepare the potato salad a day in advance to save time on the day of serving. However, it's best to add delicate ingredients like fresh herbs just before serving to maintain their flavor and appearance.
- Personalization: Don't be afraid to customize the potato salad to suit your taste preferences. You can experiment with additional ingredients such as chopped pickles, crumbled bacon, diced hard-boiled eggs, or even a touch of hot sauce for some heat. Be creative and make the recipe your own.
- Scaling the recipe: The given recipe provides servings for about 8 people. If you need to adjust the serving size, you can scale the quantities accordingly. Just ensure that the flavors and proportions remain balanced as you modify the recipe.
Incorporate Mark's Feed Store potato salad recipe into your next gathering for a crowd-pleasing side dish. Creamy, flavorful, and easy to make, it's a must-try addition to any BBQ or event. Enjoy the delicious taste and rave reviews!