Indulge in Creamy Comfort: The Best San Giorgio Mac and Cheese Recipe You Need to Try Today
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 430 calories
San Giorgio Mac and Cheese
About this recipe
San Giorgio mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that is loved by many. It's a simple yet delicious dish that consists of elbow macaroni that's cooked until it's tender and then tossed with a creamy cheese sauce made from butter, flour, milk, and shredded cheddar cheese.
The sauce is seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground mustard to give it a bit of tanginess and depth of flavor. The mac and cheese is then baked until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly on top, creating a crispy crust that's irresistible.
San Giorgio mac and cheese is a perfect dish to serve as a main course or a side dish, depending on your preference. It's a crowd-pleaser and can be easily customized to your liking by adding ingredients like bacon, breadcrumbs, or even vegetables.
The San Giorgio brand is known for producing high-quality pasta, which is why it's a popular choice for this dish. The elbow macaroni is the perfect shape to hold the creamy cheese sauce, and its texture is just right when cooked.
In terms of calories and nutrition, San Giorgio mac and cheese is not the healthiest dish, as it's high in fat, calories, and sodium. However, it's a great treat to indulge in once in a while, especially when you're in the mood for something comforting and satisfying.
Recipe origin and background
Mac and cheese is a dish that originated in Italy in the 14th century, where it was known as "maccheroni and cheese". However, the modern version of mac and cheese that we know today is believed to have been developed in the United States in the late 19th century.
San Giorgio, the brand that produces the pasta used in the San Giorgio mac and cheese recipe, was founded in 1914 in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, by a group of Italian immigrants.
The company was initially called the Gragnano Products Company and produced pasta using traditional Italian methods. In 1923, the company changed its name to San Giorgio Macaroni Company, which is still the name it goes by today.
The San Giorgio mac and cheese recipe itself is a classic American comfort food dish that has been enjoyed by generations. It's a simple and affordable meal that has become a staple in many households.
The dish has evolved over time, with different variations and customizations, but the basic recipe remains the same: elbow macaroni, a creamy cheese sauce, and a crispy topping.
Why try this San Giorgio Mac and Cheese recipe?
You should try the San Giorgio mac and cheese recipe because it's a classic comfort food that's loved by many.
The dish is simple to make, yet it's delicious and satisfying.
The recipe uses high-quality elbow macaroni from the San Giorgio brand, which is known for producing pasta with excellent texture and taste.
The creamy cheese sauce is made with butter, milk, and cheddar cheese, and it's seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground mustard, which gives it a subtle tanginess and depth of flavor.
San Giorgio mac and cheese is a versatile dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish, depending on your preference. It's a great meal to serve on a cold day or when you're in the mood for something comforting and indulgent.
You can also customize the recipe to your liking by adding ingredients like bacon, breadcrumbs, or vegetables.
What does San Giorgio Mac and Cheese taste like?
The taste of San Giorgio mac and cheese is rich, creamy, and cheesy.
The elbow macaroni is coated in a velvety smooth sauce that's made from butter, milk, and cheddar cheese.
The sauce is seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground mustard, which adds a subtle tanginess and depth of flavor to the dish.
The Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of the mac and cheese creates a crispy, slightly salty crust that complements the creaminess of the cheese sauce.
San Giorgio mac and cheese has a comforting and indulgent taste that's perfect for satisfying cravings on a cold day or for serving as a side dish to complement a main course. The combination of the tender pasta and the rich cheese sauce makes for a delicious and satisfying meal.
What is in San Giorgio Mac and Cheese?
- San Giorgio elbow macaroni: This is the type of pasta that the recipe calls for. Elbow macaroni is short, curved pasta that is perfect for holding the creamy cheese sauce.
- Butter: This ingredient is used to make the roux, which is the base of the cheese sauce. It adds richness and depth of flavor to the dish.
- All-purpose flour: This is used to thicken the cheese sauce and create a smooth and velvety texture.
- Milk: This is the liquid used to make the cheese sauce. Whole milk is preferred because it has a higher fat content, which makes for a richer and creamier sauce.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: This is the main ingredient that gives the cheese sauce its flavor and creaminess. Use a good-quality cheddar cheese for best results.
- Salt, pepper, and ground mustard: These are the seasonings used to flavor the cheese sauce. The ground mustard adds a subtle tanginess and depth of flavor to the dish.
- Parmesan cheese: This is used to create a crispy, slightly salty crust on top of the mac and cheese. It complements the creaminess of the cheese sauce and adds a nice texture contrast.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Large pot: You will need a large pot to cook the macaroni. If you don't have a large pot, you can use a Dutch oven or a deep sauté pan.
- Colander: You will need a colander to drain the cooked macaroni. If you don't have a colander, you can use a fine-mesh sieve or a slotted spoon.
- Saucepan: You will need a medium-sized saucepan to make the cheese sauce. If you don't have a saucepan, you can use a small Dutch oven or a deep sauté pan.
- Whisk: You will need a whisk to stir the cheese sauce and make sure it's smooth and lump-free. If you don't have a whisk, you can use a fork or a slotted spoon.
- Baking dish: You will need a baking dish to bake the mac and cheese. If you don't have a baking dish, you can use a casserole dish or a deep pie dish.
- Aluminum foil: You will need aluminum foil to cover the baking dish while the mac and cheese bakes. If you don't have aluminum foil, you can use a lid or a baking sheet to cover the dish.
How to make San Giorgio Mac and Cheese
Looking for a rich and delicious mac and cheese recipe? Try our San Giorgio Mac and Cheese for a creamy, comforting dish that everyone will love!
- 1 box (16 oz) San Giorgio Elbow Macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the San Giorgio Elbow Macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is golden brown.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, salt, black pepper, and ground mustard.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked San Giorgio Elbow Macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the macaroni is coated with the sauce.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake the mac and cheese for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let the mac and cheese cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious San Giorgio Mac and Cheese!
How to serve San Giorgio Mac and Cheese
- Portion out the mac and cheese: Use a spoon or a serving utensil to scoop out portions of the mac and cheese onto plates or into bowls. Be sure to get some of the cheesy sauce as well as the macaroni in each serving.
- Garnish the mac and cheese: For added flavor and presentation, consider garnishing the mac and cheese with fresh herbs, such as chopped parsley or chives, or a sprinkle of paprika.
- Serve with sides: Mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that pairs well with many different sides. Some popular choices include green beans, roasted vegetables, a side salad, or garlic bread.
- Serve hot: San Giorgio mac and cheese is best served hot and fresh out of the oven. However, if you have leftovers, you can reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
- Enjoy! Sit down, relax, and enjoy your delicious homemade San Giorgio mac and cheese.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 648 reviews.
Recipe Tags: San Giorgio Mac and Cheese, San Giorgio Mac and Cheese Recipe, Recipe, Top rated
What to serve San Giorgio Mac and Cheese with
San Giorgio mac and cheese is a hearty and filling dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. Here are some suggestions for sides that pair well with mac and cheese:
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts, are a great side dish that adds some texture and flavor to the meal.
- Salad: A side salad, such as a Caesar salad or a simple mixed greens salad, is a refreshing and healthy complement to the rich and creamy mac and cheese.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is a classic side dish that is perfect for soaking up the cheesy sauce.
- Grilled or roasted chicken: Grilled or roasted chicken is a protein-packed side dish that pairs well with mac and cheese, adding some savory flavor to the meal.
- Steamed or sautéed vegetables: Steamed or sautéed vegetables, such as green beans, carrots, or asparagus, are a simple and healthy side dish that complements the richness of the mac and cheese.
These are just a few examples of sides that go well with mac and cheese. Ultimately, the choice of side dish will depend on your personal preferences and dietary restrictions.
My recommendations and tips
- Follow the recipe closely: While the recipe is simple, it's important to measure your ingredients accurately and follow the instructions closely. This will help ensure that your mac and cheese turns out perfectly.
- Use quality ingredients: Because the recipe has only a few ingredients, it's important to use good quality ingredients, especially the cheddar cheese. Using a good quality cheese will make a big difference in the flavor and texture of the dish.
- Cook the macaroni al dente: Be sure to cook the macaroni just until it's al dente, which means it's cooked through but still slightly firm to the bite. Overcooking the macaroni can lead to a mushy texture.
- Make a smooth cheese sauce: Whisk the cheese sauce continuously while cooking to prevent lumps from forming. It's also important to add the shredded cheese gradually to ensure that it melts smoothly and evenly.
- Add a breadcrumb topping: For added texture and flavor, consider adding a breadcrumb topping to the mac and cheese before baking. Simply mix together breadcrumbs, melted butter, and grated Parmesan cheese and sprinkle it over the top of the mac and cheese before baking.
- Let it rest before serving: Allow the mac and cheese to cool for a few minutes after baking before serving. This will allow the cheese sauce to thicken slightly and make it easier to scoop and serve.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Pasta: If you don't have elbow macaroni, you can use any short pasta shape, such as penne, rigatoni, or fusilli.
- Cheese: While cheddar cheese is traditional for mac and cheese, you can use other types of cheese or a combination of cheeses. Some good options include Gruyere, Fontina, Parmesan, or a blend of cheddar and mozzarella.
- Milk: If you don't have whole milk, you can use 2% milk or even evaporated milk for a richer and creamier sauce.
- Flour: All-purpose flour can be substituted with equal parts of cornstarch, arrowroot, or potato starch to thicken the cheese sauce.
- Butter: You can use margarine or any type of oil, such as vegetable or canola oil, instead of butter to make the roux.
- Mustard powder: If you don't have ground mustard, you can use Dijon mustard or yellow mustard for a similar flavor.
- Leftovers: Mac and cheese can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place it in the microwave or oven until it is heated through.
- Customizing the recipe: While the recipe is delicious as-is, feel free to customize it to your liking by adding different types of cheese, spices, or herbs. You can also add some diced bacon, cooked ground beef, or chopped vegetables to the dish to make it heartier.
- Nutritional information: One serving of San Giorgio mac and cheese, using the recipe we discussed, has approximately 510 calories. However, the nutritional information may vary depending on the specific ingredients and amounts used.
- Serving size: The recipe we discussed makes approximately 6 servings. You can adjust the recipe based on the number of people you are serving or if you want leftovers.
- Making it ahead of time: You can assemble the mac and cheese in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake it. Just be sure to cover it with plastic wrap or foil and remove it from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking to allow it to come to room temperature.
With this San Giorgio Mac and Cheese recipe, you'll have a creamy, cheesy dish that's perfect for any occasion. Give it a try and savor the comforting taste of homemade mac and cheese!