Discover the Celebrity Twist on Bolognese! Dive into Harry Hamlin's Flavorful Recipe – a Star-Studded Take on an Italian Classic.
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
- Category: Main Dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 400 calories
Harry Hamlin Bolognese
About this recipe
Harry Hamlin's Bolognese, featured on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," became a memorable talking point on the show. Although his precise recipe isn't available, we can glean some insights from the details you provided. It's evident that Harry Hamlin's approach to Bolognese is a rich and flavorful interpretation of the classic Italian dish.
In this recipe, he combines ground pork, beef, and veal, which suggests a dedication to layering flavors. The addition of aromatic vegetables such as white onion, garlic, celery, and carrot further enhances the depth of the sauce.
Using crushed tomatoes and tomato paste provides the foundational tomato richness that's characteristic of Bolognese.
One interesting twist is the inclusion of red wine, specifically Goya cooking red wine. This choice likely adds complexity and a subtle sweetness to the sauce. To balance the flavors, he incorporates Pacific Foods Beef Broth, infusing a savory note. The spices, including black pepper, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg, promise a harmonious blend of warmth and depth.
One of the standout elements in Harry Hamlin's Bolognese is the addition of Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream. This suggests a luxurious creaminess that elevates the dish. It's not just about the savory and robust; it's about the indulgent, too.
The choice of Barilla spaghetti for serving completes the classic Italian pairing. It's worth noting that olive oil is used, adding a Mediterranean touch that may enhance the overall flavor profile.
While we don't have the exact measurements or personal nuances from Harry Hamlin's kitchen, this recipe reflects a rich and hearty take on Bolognese. It's the kind of dish that brings comfort and warmth to the table, making it perfect for special occasions or cozy family gatherings. If you decide to recreate Harry Hamlin's Bolognese, you're in for a flavorful culinary adventure.
Recipe origin and background
The origin or background of Harry Hamlin's Bolognese recipe is not widely documented, and there isn't extensive public information available about its history or source. The recipe gained attention when it was featured on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" during season 11. Harry Hamlin, known for his acting career and being the husband of Lisa Rinna, made this particular Bolognese sauce on the show.
It's possible that the recipe is a family favorite or a personal creation of Harry Hamlin, but there aren't specific details about its origin beyond its association with the television show.
In many cases, celebrity recipes like this one are personal variations of classic dishes, often influenced by their own preferences and culinary experiences. Harry Hamlin's Bolognese appears to be a unique twist on the traditional Italian Bolognese sauce, incorporating specific ingredients and flavors that he enjoys.
While the exact origin remains somewhat of a mystery, the recipe itself provides a glimpse into his culinary tastes and preferences, showcasing a rich and flavorful take on this beloved Italian dish.
Why try this Harry Hamlin Bolognese recipe?
I think you should consider trying Harry Hamlin's Bolognese recipe for several compelling reasons:
- Rich and Flavorful: This recipe promises a rich and flavorful Bolognese sauce with a combination of ground meats, aromatic vegetables, and a medley of spices. It's a taste experience that's both hearty and satisfying.
- Creamy Indulgence: The addition of heavy whipping cream adds a luxurious creaminess to the sauce, making it exceptionally indulgent. It's a delightful twist on the classic Bolognese that sets it apart.
- A Touch of Elegance: With its use of red wine, this Bolognese recipe carries an air of elegance. It's perfect for special occasions or when you want to impress with a gourmet Italian-inspired dish.
- Versatile Pairing: Bolognese sauce pairs wonderfully with a variety of pasta types, making it a versatile option for meal planning. Whether you choose spaghetti, fettuccine, or penne, the sauce complements pasta beautifully.
- Mystery and Intrigue: While the exact origin and details of this recipe may be a bit mysterious, it adds an element of intrigue to your culinary repertoire. Trying a recipe associated with a celebrity can be a fun and unique cooking adventure.
- Family and Social Gatherings: This Bolognese recipe is perfect for family gatherings and social occasions. Its rich and comforting flavors are likely to be a crowd-pleaser, making it a great dish to share with loved ones.
- Customizable: You can personalize this recipe to suit your preferences. Adjust the spice levels, choose your favorite pasta, and add garnishes that appeal to you, making it your own signature dish.
Overall, Harry Hamlin's Bolognese offers a chance to explore a unique and flavorful twist on a classic Italian favorite. Whether you're a fan of Italian cuisine or simply looking for a delicious and indulgent meal, it's worth giving this recipe a try to savor its rich and creamy goodness.
What does Harry Hamlin Bolognese taste like?
The taste of Harry Hamlin's Bolognese is a harmonious blend of rich, savory, and comforting flavors. The combination of ground pork, beef, and veal provides a meaty and robust foundation for the sauce. The meats are typically browned before simmering, which enhances their savory qualities.
Meanwhile, the inclusion of aromatic vegetables like onions, garlic, celery, and carrots adds depth and a subtle sweetness to the sauce.
The crushed tomatoes and tomato paste contribute a luscious tomato flavor that is characteristic of Bolognese sauce. Red wine, in this case, Goya cooking red wine, may infuse a hint of fruitiness and complexity, balancing the richness of the meat and tomatoes.
While the addition of Pacific Foods Beef Broth adds depth and umami notes to the sauce, while spices like black pepper, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg introduce warmth and a touch of spice.
One notable feature of Harry Hamlin's Bolognese is the Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream. This creaminess creates a velvety texture and adds a luxurious, silky quality to the sauce. It can also help mellow out any sharp flavors, resulting in a well-balanced taste.
Overall, the taste of this Bolognese is a delicious combination of savory, slightly sweet, and creamy flavors, with layers of complexity from the various ingredients. It's a hearty and comforting dish that's perfect for indulging in rich Italian-inspired flavors.
What is in Harry Hamlin Bolognese?
- Ground Pork, Beef, and Veal: These meats form the heart of the sauce, providing a rich and meaty flavor profile. They are typically browned before simmering to develop savory notes.
- White Onion: Chopped white onions add aromatic sweetness and depth to the sauce, enhancing its overall flavor.
- Garlic: Minced garlic contributes a pungent and aromatic element, infusing the sauce with a delightful garlicky essence.
- Celery: Chopped celery brings a subtle earthy and herbal note to the sauce, complementing the other flavors.
- Carrot: Chopped carrots add a touch of natural sweetness and color to the sauce.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Crushed tomatoes provide the tomato base for the sauce, offering a rich and tangy tomato flavor.
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste enhances the tomato flavor and thickens the sauce, giving it a robust consistency.
- Red Wine (Goya Cooking Red Wine): Red wine adds depth, complexity, and a hint of fruitiness to the sauce. It's a signature element in this recipe.
- Beef Broth (Pacific Foods Beef Broth): Beef broth contributes savory umami notes, enhancing the overall depth of flavor.
- Black Pepper: Ground black pepper provides a subtle spiciness and warmth to the sauce.
- Ground Cloves: Ground cloves introduce a hint of spice and complexity to the sauce's flavor profile.
- Ground Nutmeg: Ground nutmeg offers a warm and slightly sweet note, adding a unique twist to the sauce.
- Heavy Whipping Cream (Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream): Heavy cream creates a luxurious and creamy texture, balancing the savory elements with a touch of indulgence.
- Spaghetti (Barilla Brand): Spaghetti serves as the classic pasta choice for serving the Bolognese sauce, providing a satisfying base for the dish.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil, used for cooking and garnishing, imparts a Mediterranean touch to the recipe.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Stove: This is essential for cooking the sauce and boiling pasta. There's no direct substitute for a stove, but you can use a hot plate or an induction cooktop if needed.
- Pot or Skillet: A large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet is used for cooking the sauce. If you don't have one, a Dutch oven or a deep frying pan can be a suitable substitute.
- Mixing Bowl: A mixing bowl is helpful for combining ingredients. Any large bowl will work as a substitute.
- Measuring Cup: A measuring cup is used for accurate measurement of liquid ingredients. You can use any cup with volume markings as a substitute.
- Measuring Spoon: Measuring spoons are used for precise measurements of spices and other small quantities. Standard kitchen teaspoons and tablespoons can be used as substitutes.
- Cutting Board: A cutting board is essential for chopping vegetables. You can use a clean and sturdy surface as a substitute, like a large plate.
- Knife: A sharp knife is used for chopping ingredients. Ensure it's safe and suitable for cutting.
- Wooden Spoon: A wooden spoon is used for stirring and mixing the sauce. A regular spoon or spatula can be a substitute.
- Serving Plate: This is used for presenting the finished dish. Any large plate or platter will work as a substitute.
How to make Harry Hamlin Bolognese
Indulge in Harry Hamlin's Bolognese Recipe: A Celeb Twist on Italian Classics. Try This Star-Studded Dish Today!
For the Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Medium White Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Stick Celery, Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Chopped
- 1 Can (28 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
- ¾ cup Red Wine (Mediterranean red wine if available)
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon (for a touch of Mediterranean warmth)
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for a Mediterranean twist) For the Pasta:
- 12 oz Mediterranean-style Pasta (choose varieties like penne, fusilli, or orecchiette for texture) Optional Mediterranean Garnishes:
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (in place of Parmesan)
- Sliced Kalamata Olives
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté until they're softened and aromatic.
- Add the ground pork and beef. Cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, red wine, beef broth, black pepper, salt, ground cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Allow the sauce to simmer for at least 1.5 to 2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally, to develop rich Mediterranean flavors.
- In a separate pot, cook the Mediterranean-style pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Just before serving, add the heavy cream to the Bolognese sauce, giving it a luxurious Mediterranean twist.
- Plate the Mediterranean-Style Harry Hamlin Bolognese over the cooked pasta.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves, a sprinkle of grated Pecorino Romano cheese, and sliced Kalamata olives for that Mediterranean touch.
- Serve your unique fusion creation and savor the blend of Italian and Mediterranean flavors in every bite.
This Mediterranean twist on Harry Hamlin's Bolognese combines the richness of the classic Bolognese sauce with the warmth and depth of Mediterranean spices. It's a delightful fusion of two beloved cuisines. Enjoy!
How to serve Harry Hamlin Bolognese
Serving Harry Hamlin's Bolognese is a straightforward and enjoyable process. Here are the steps to serve this delicious dish:
- Prepare the Pasta: Cook the spaghetti (or your pasta of choice) according to the package instructions until it's al dente, which means it's cooked but still has a slight firmness when bitten. Typically, this involves boiling the pasta in salted water. Drain the pasta in a colander but do not rinse it.
- Plate the Pasta: Take your serving plates or bowls and portion out the cooked pasta onto each plate. The amount of pasta per plate will depend on individual preferences.
- Ladle the Bolognese Sauce: Using a ladle or spoon, generously ladle the prepared Harry Hamlin Bolognese sauce over the cooked pasta. Ensure that each serving receives a generous amount of the rich and flavorful sauce.
- Garnish (Optional): If desired, garnish the plated Bolognese with fresh basil leaves, a sprinkle of grated Pecorino Romano cheese (as a substitute for Parmesan), and sliced Kalamata olives. These garnishes can add extra flavor and visual appeal to the dish.
- Serve Warm: Bolognese is best served warm, so make sure it's served immediately after plating. The heat from the freshly cooked sauce will meld beautifully with the pasta.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 65 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Harry Hamlin Bolognese, Harry Hamlin Bolognese Recipe, Recipe, Easy, Homemade, Top rated
What to serve Harry Hamlin Bolognese with
Harry Hamlin's Bolognese is a hearty and flavorful dish that pairs well with a variety of accompaniments. Here are some ideas for what you can serve alongside this delicious Bolognese sauce:
- Garlic Bread or Baguette: A classic choice is to serve warm, garlic-infused bread or a crusty baguette on the side. It's perfect for dipping into the rich sauce.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette or Italian dressing can provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the Bolognese. Consider a Caesar salad or a mixed greens salad.
- Antipasto Platter: Create an antipasto platter with a variety of cured meats, cheeses, marinated olives, and roasted vegetables. It adds a Mediterranean touch and complements the sauce.
- Steamed or Roasted Vegetables: Steamed broccoli, roasted asparagus, or sautéed spinach can be served as a side dish, adding color and nutrition to your meal.
- Bruschetta: Toasted slices of bread topped with fresh tomato, basil, garlic, and olive oil make for a delightful appetizer or side dish.
- Risotto: A creamy risotto, such as a mushroom or Parmesan risotto, can be a luxurious pairing with Bolognese.
- Polenta: Creamy polenta or soft, cheesy polenta cakes can provide a comforting base for the sauce.
- Roasted Potatoes: Roasted or mashed potatoes offer a hearty side dish that complements the meaty Bolognese.
- Grilled Vegetables: Fire up the grill and prepare some grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant. They'll add a smoky flavor to your meal.
- Wine: A glass of red wine, such as the same red wine used in the sauce or another Italian varietal, can be a delightful accompaniment for adults.
My recommendations and tips
- Embrace the Richness: This Bolognese is all about richness and depth of flavor. Embrace the combination of ground meats and the creamy addition of heavy whipping cream. It's a dish meant to be indulgent and satisfying.
- Quality Ingredients: Use high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to the meats, crushed tomatoes, and wine. This can significantly impact the final taste of the sauce.
- Customization: Feel free to customize the recipe to your preferences. Adjust the level of spiciness by varying the amount of black pepper and spices. You can also experiment with different pasta shapes if you like.
- Garnishes: Don't underestimate the power of garnishes. Fresh basil, grated cheese, and Kalamata olives can elevate the presentation and flavor of the dish.
- Accompaniments: Consider the side dishes you want to serve with the Bolognese. Garlic bread, salad, or a vegetable side can complement the meal nicely.
- Timing: Plan your cooking time well, especially the simmering of the sauce. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors meld together, so be patient for the best results.
- Wine Pairing: If you enjoy wine, consider serving a red wine alongside the Bolognese. It can enhance the dining experience.
- Enjoy the Process: Cooking can be a fun and rewarding activity. Enjoy the process of preparing this dish, and perhaps even involve family or friends in the kitchen for a shared cooking experience.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Ground Meats: If you prefer a leaner option or have dietary restrictions, you can substitute ground turkey or chicken for some or all of the pork, beef, or veal. Keep in mind that this may alter the flavor slightly.
- Vegetarian/Vegan: To make a vegetarian or vegan version, consider using plant-based ground meat substitutes, such as Beyond Meat or lentils. Vegetable broth can replace beef broth, and almond or soy cream can substitute for heavy whipping cream.
- Onion and Garlic: If you're out of fresh onion or garlic, you can use onion powder or garlic powder as a substitute. These will provide a similar flavor but in a powdered form.
- Crushed Tomatoes and Tomato Paste: In a pinch, you can use canned tomato sauce or tomato purée instead of crushed tomatoes. Tomato sauce is smoother in texture and may require less simmering time.
- Red Wine: If you don't have cooking wine or prefer not to use it, you can omit the wine altogether or substitute it with beef or vegetable broth for added liquid. The wine adds depth and flavor, but the dish will still be delicious without it.
- Beef Broth: If you don't have beef broth, you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth as a substitute. While it will change the flavor slightly, it's a viable option.
- Spices: If you don't have all the listed spices, you can omit or replace them with what you have on hand. For example, ground allspice can be substituted for ground cloves, and ground cinnamon can add warmth if you don't have nutmeg.
- Pasta: While spaghetti is traditional, feel free to use any pasta shape you have available. Penne, rigatoni, or fettuccine can work well with this sauce.
- Olive Oil: Any neutral cooking oil can substitute for olive oil if needed.
In conclusion, Harry Hamlin's Bolognese recipe offers a luxurious twist on a beloved classic. With its rich flavors and indulgent creaminess, it's a dish that promises to delight the palate. Whether you're a fan of Italian cuisine or simply looking to savor something special, this recipe invites you to embark on a culinary journey with a touch of celebrity flair. So, gather your ingredients, embrace the richness, and enjoy the delicious satisfaction that comes with every bite of this star-studded creation. Happy cooking and bon appétit!