Discover the sweet magic of homemade Snoogle pastries! Our delightful recipe will transport your taste buds to pastry paradise. 🍰✨
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Dessert, Pastry
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: 15
- Calories: 250 calories
About this recipe
The Snoogle pastry is a delightful creation that came to life through a happy accident at Kiedrowski's Simply Delicious Bakery.
One evening, while Tim was working on ladylocks and Terri was preparing cheese danish, they found themselves with some leftover ingredients. Instead of letting those ingredients go to waste, they decided to get a bit creative.
Mixing a little bit of this and a little bit of that, the result was the birth of the Snoogle. These sweet, cream-filled pastries quickly became a fan favorite and a best-seller at the bakery. In fact, they became so popular that in April 2011, Tim and Terri Kiedrowski were awarded a trademark for their world-famous Snoogle.
The Snoogle is a unique pastry, and it's important to note that only Kiedrowski's can claim the name Snoogle. They take pride in using the finest ingredients, ensuring that each one is simply delicious.
So, when you come across a pastry that looks like a Snoogle, always remember to ask if it's from Kiedrowski's. If not, it's not the original, and you may be missing out on a true culinary delight!
Origin of Snoogle Pastry recipe
The Snoogle pastry has its origin in the kitchen of Kiedrowski's Simply Delicious Bakery, which is located in Amherst, Ohio, USA. The pastry was created by the bakery owners, Tim and Terri Kiedrowski, through a serendipitous accident.
The story goes that one evening, Tim was working on ladylocks, a traditional Eastern European pastry, and Terri was preparing cheese danish. With some leftover ingredients and a bit of culinary experimentation, they decided to create something entirely new. By combining various elements and a dash of creativity, they gave birth to the Snoogle pastry.
The pastry quickly gained popularity among the bakery's customers and became one of their best-selling items. The Kiedrowskis' dedication to using the finest ingredients and their commitment to quality contributed to the success of the Snoogle. In recognition of its uniqueness, the name "Snoogle" was trademarked in April 2011.
So, the Snoogle pastry is a product of culinary ingenuity and a happy accident that occurred in the kitchen of Kiedrowski's Simply Delicious Bakery, showcasing the power of creativity in the world of baking.
Why make this recipe?
There are few good reasons to try the Snoogle pastry recipe:
- Deliciousness: The Snoogle is celebrated for its delightful combination of sweet cream filling and flaky pastry. It's a treat that's hard to resist and offers a mouthwatering taste that's both creamy and indulgent.
- Unique Origin: The Snoogle has an interesting backstory, born from an accidental creation in the bakery of Tim and Terri Kiedrowski. Trying this pastry allows you to savor a unique and original culinary invention.
- Tradition with a Twist: The Snoogle combines traditional pastry elements with a modern twist, making it a perfect blend of classic and contemporary flavors.
- Customizable: You can get creative with the filling, adding your own personal touch to the recipe. Experiment with different flavors, textures, or even seasonal ingredients to make it truly your own.
- Homemade Happiness: Baking your own Snoogle pastries can be a fun and rewarding experience. It's an excellent way to spend time in the kitchen and share delicious treats with friends and family.
- Impress Guests: If you're hosting a gathering or special occasion, serving Snoogle pastries can be a unique and impressive dessert that your guests are sure to enjoy.
- Trademarked Original: If you value authenticity, remember that only Kiedrowski's Simply Delicious Bakery can claim the name "Snoogle®." So, by making these at home, you're enjoying a true original.
Making the Snoogle pastry recipe is an opportunity to indulge in a delectable dessert with a one-of-a-kind story and a taste that's both comforting and innovative. It's a treat that brings together the best of tradition and creativity, making it a must-try for pastry enthusiasts.
What does Snoogle Pastry taste like?
The taste of a Snoogle pastry is a delightful combination of flavors and textures. It's sweet, creamy, and flaky all at once. Here's what you can expect:
- Creamy Filling: The heart of a Snoogle is its sweet cream filling, typically made with cream cheese, sugar, and a hint of vanilla. This filling is lusciously rich and creamy, with a slightly tangy note from the cream cheese.
- Flaky Pastry: The pastry exterior of a Snoogle is often light and flaky, providing a lovely contrast to the creamy filling. It may be slightly buttery and tender, adding a delightful crunch to each bite.
- Sweetness: The Snoogle is a sweet treat, but it's not overwhelmingly sugary. The sweetness comes from the cream filling and perhaps a dusting of powdered sugar on top.
- Hint of Vanilla: The vanilla extract used in the cream filling gives the Snoogle a warm and inviting flavor. It adds depth to the sweetness without being overpowering.
A Snoogle pastry offers a harmonious balance of sweet, creamy, and flaky elements. It's a dessert that can be both comforting and indulgent, making it a popular choice for those who enjoy pastries with a rich and satisfying taste.
What would you need for this recipe?
These are the ingredients needed to make Snoogle Pastry:
- All-Purpose Flour: This is the base for the pastry dough. It provides structure and helps create a tender, flaky crust.
- Butter: Cold butter is cut into the flour to create layers in the pastry dough. It adds richness and contributes to the flakiness.
- Water: Cold water is added to the dough to bring the ingredients together and ensure proper consistency.
- Salt: A small amount of salt is used to enhance the flavor of the pastry and balance the sweetness of the filling.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the primary ingredient in the sweet cream filling. It provides a creamy and slightly tangy texture.
- Sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the cream filling, making it lusciously sweet.
- Vanilla Extract: A touch of vanilla extract is used to infuse the filling with a warm and aromatic flavor.
- Eggs: Eggs are mixed into the cream filling to bind and enrich the mixture, giving it a smooth, custard-like consistency.
- Mixing Bowls: You'll need mixing bowls for both the pastry dough and the cream filling. Substitutes could include other mixing containers like large Tupperware or glass bowls.
- Pastry Cutter or Fork: A pastry cutter is handy for cutting cold butter into the flour for the pastry dough. If you don't have one, you can use a fork or two knives to achieve a similar effect.
- Rolling Pin: A rolling pin is essential for rolling out the pastry dough. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can use a clean wine bottle or a cylindrical glass.
- Baking Sheet: You'll need a baking sheet to place your Snoogle pastries in the oven. If you don't have a baking sheet, you can use an oven-safe dish or tray.
- Parchment Paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking. If you're out of parchment paper, you can use a silicone baking mat or lightly grease the baking sheet.
- Electric Mixer: An electric mixer is useful for blending the cream cheese, sugar, and other ingredients for the filling. If you don't have one, you can use a hand whisk or even a wooden spoon for extra effort.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Accurate measurements are crucial. If you don't have measuring cups or spoons, you can use standard kitchen utensils like mugs, teaspoons, and tablespoons.
- Knife or Pastry Wheel: You'll need a knife or pastry wheel to cut the pastry dough into squares or rectangles. Any sharp kitchen knife will work if you don't have a pastry wheel.
How to make Snoogle Pastry
Indulge in our irresistible Snoogle pastry recipe – a sweet sensation with a delightful backstory. Baking perfection at your fingertips!
For the pastry dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the sweet cream filling:
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Start by making the pastry dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold butter cubes and work them into the flour using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water and knead the dough until it comes together. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the sweet cream filling. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled pastry dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut it into small rectangles or squares.
- Place a spoonful of the sweet cream filling onto each pastry square and fold it over to create a triangle or rectangle shape. Seal the edges by pressing them with a fork.
- Bake the Snoogles in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and the filling is set.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving. You can also dust them with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
How do you serve Snoogle Pastry recipe?
Serving Snoogle pastries is a delightful experience, and here are the steps to present them beautifully:
- Cool Slightly: Once your Snoogle pastries are baked to a golden brown and the cream filling is set, remove them from the oven. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. They can be quite hot immediately after baking.
- Transfer to a Serving Platter: Carefully transfer the Snoogle pastries to a serving platter or plate. Use a spatula to gently lift them off the baking sheet, ensuring they remain intact.
- Optional: Dust with Powdered Sugar: To add a touch of elegance and extra sweetness, you can dust the Snoogle pastries with powdered sugar. Simply sift a light layer of powdered sugar over the top of the pastries.
- Arrange Nicely: Arrange the Snoogle pastries on the serving platter in an appealing manner. You can place them in rows or stack them neatly.
- Serve Warm: Snoogle pastries are best enjoyed when they are still slightly warm. They are at their most delectable when the cream filling is creamy and the pastry is flaky. You can serve them immediately after cooling for a few minutes.
- Garnish (Optional): If you want to add a final touch, you can garnish the pastries with a small mint sprig, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, or a dollop of whipped cream, depending on your preference.
- Enjoy: Now, it's time to savor your homemade Snoogle pastries. They make a wonderful treat with a cup of coffee or tea. Serve them to your guests or enjoy them as a special dessert for yourself.
The key is to present them nicely and savor the delightful flavors of the sweet cream and flaky pastry.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 548 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Snoogle Pastry, Snoogle Pastry Recipe, Recipe, Easy, Homemade, Top rated
What to serve with?
Snoogle pastries are delicious on their own, but you can enhance your serving experience by pairing them with various accompaniments. Here are some options to consider:
- Fresh Fruit: Serve your Snoogle pastries with a side of fresh fruit, such as strawberries, raspberries, or sliced bananas. The natural sweetness and freshness of fruit complement the richness of the pastry.
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of freshly whipped cream can add a light and airy contrast to the creamy filling of the Snoogle. It's a classic pairing for pastries and desserts.
- Chocolate Sauce: Drizzle some warm chocolate sauce over your Snoogle pastries for an extra layer of indulgence. The combination of chocolate and sweet cream is heavenly.
- Ice Cream: A scoop of vanilla or your favorite ice cream alongside your Snoogle pastries can create a delightful dessert duo. The warm pastry and cold ice cream make a great contrast.
- Coffee or Tea: Enjoy your Snoogle pastries with a hot cup of coffee or tea. The warmth and flavor of the beverage can complement the sweetness of the pastry.
- Caramel Sauce: Drizzling caramel sauce over the pastries can add a rich, buttery sweetness that pairs beautifully with the cream filling.
- Mixed Nuts: A small bowl of mixed nuts, such as almonds or pecans, can provide a crunchy, nutty element to balance the creamy texture of the Snoogle.
- Berries and Whipped Cream: Create a simple but elegant dessert by serving Snoogle pastries with a combination of fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream.
You can mix and match these accompaniments to suit your personal taste and create a well-rounded dessert experience. The key is to enjoy your Snoogle pastries in a way that satisfies your cravings and culinary preferences.
My recommendations and tips
- Use Cold Ingredients: Ensure that your butter and water are very cold when making the pastry dough. Cold ingredients help create a flaky texture in the dough.
- Don't Overwork the Dough: When mixing the pastry dough, be careful not to overwork it. Overworking can make the dough tough rather than flaky. Mix just until the ingredients come together.
- Chill the Dough: It's important to chill the pastry dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out. This allows the gluten to relax and makes it easier to handle.
- Proper Sealing: When folding the pastry around the filling, make sure to seal the edges well. You can use a fork to press down and ensure the pastry is tightly sealed.
- Experiment with Fillings: While the traditional Snoogle has a sweet cream filling, don't be afraid to get creative. You can experiment with different fillings, such as fruit preserves, chocolate, or even savory options.
- Even Sizing: When cutting the pastry dough into rectangles or squares, try to make them as even as possible. This ensures that they bake uniformly.
- Prevent Overfilling: Be cautious not to overfill the pastries with the cream mixture. Overfilling can lead to leaks during baking. Use a consistent amount for each pastry.
- Timing Matters: Keep a close eye on your pastries in the oven. They should be golden brown and the filling set. Overbaking can result in a dry texture.
- Enjoy Warm: Snoogle pastries are best enjoyed when they're still slightly warm. This is when the cream filling is at its creamiest and the pastry is at its flakiest.
- Customize Toppings: Feel free to customize your Snoogle pastries with additional toppings like powdered sugar, a drizzle of chocolate, or a sprinkle of crushed nuts.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Butter: You can substitute cold butter with cold margarine or even shortening. Keep in mind that this may slightly alter the flavor and texture of the pastry.
- Cream Cheese: If you're looking for a lower-fat alternative, you can use Greek yogurt or a cream cheese alternative, such as vegan cream cheese, for the filling. This will result in a different flavor and texture.
- Sugar: You can replace white sugar with brown sugar for a slightly different sweetness and flavor. Alternatively, you can use natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, adjusting the quantity to taste.
- Vanilla Extract: In place of vanilla extract, you can use other flavorings like almond extract or lemon zest to add a unique twist to the pastry.
- Eggs: To make the filling egg-free, you can use egg substitutes like applesauce, mashed banana, or a commercial egg replacer. Keep in mind that the texture may differ slightly.
- All-Purpose Flour: If you prefer whole-grain pastries, you can substitute part of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or other alternative flours like almond flour or gluten-free flour blends.
In conclusion, the Snoogle pastry recipe is a testament to the joy of culinary experimentation and the sweet rewards of creative baking. By embracing this delightful treat, you not only savor a delicious dessert but also become part of a legacy born from a happy accident in a small bakery.
Whether you stick to tradition or venture into innovative fillings, the Snoogle remains a symbol of homemade perfection. So, roll up your sleeves, follow the steps, and create your own culinary masterpiece.
As you bite into your freshly baked Snoogle pastry, you'll not only taste the creamy sweetness but also the love and passion that went into its creation. Enjoy every bite, share the joy, and keep the tradition alive. Happy baking!