Discover the secret to Kapiolani Coffee Shop's iconic oxtail soup recipe. A fusion of Hawaiian flavors awaits in this savory culinary journey. Try it now!
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
- Category: Main Dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 450 calories
Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup
About this recipe
Picture yourself in the heart of Hawaii, where the aroma of a rich and hearty oxtail soup wafts through the air, enticing your taste buds.
Kapiolani Coffee Shop, nestled in the vibrant culinary scene, is renowned for its soul-warming oxtail soup that seamlessly blends Hawaiian and Asian flavors.
The journey begins with succulent oxtails, meticulously seared until they boast a golden-brown perfection. The kitchen comes alive as onions, garlic, and ginger join the dance, infusing the broth with layers of savory depth. A symphony of beef broth, soy sauce, and star anise creates the base, each ingredient contributing its unique note to the culinary melody.
As the oxtails tenderly simmer, daikon radish and carrots make their entrance, bringing a touch of sweetness to the ensemble. The soup transforms into a medley of textures, a harmonious blend of melt-in-your-mouth oxtails and vibrant, crisp vegetables. It's a celebration of flavors, a culinary embrace that transports you to the sun-kissed shores of Hawaii.
Garnished with green onions and perhaps a hint of sesame oil for that extra allure, this oxtail soup from Kapiolani Coffee Shop isn't just a dish—it's a journey, a cultural fusion on a spoon. Whether enjoyed over rice or embraced by noodles, every bite tells a tale of tradition, community, and the warmth of Aloha.
It's more than a meal; it's an experience, inviting you to savor the essence of Hawaiian hospitality in every savory sip.
Origin of Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup recipe
The Kapiolani Coffee Shop, located in Honolulu, Hawaii, has a rich culinary history deeply rooted in the diverse influences of the islands.
Even though specific details about the origin of their oxtail soup recipe may not be widely documented, it's likely that the dish draws inspiration from the multicultural tapestry that defines Hawaiian cuisine.
Hawaii's culinary landscape is a vibrant blend of Native Hawaiian, Asian, European, and Polynesian influences. The oxtail soup at Kapiolani Coffee Shop reflects this diversity, with its savory broth, a nod to Asian flavors, and the hearty oxtails that showcase European culinary traditions.
Oxtail soup, in general, has historical ties to various cultures, often being a dish born out of resourcefulness, as it makes use of a part of the animal that might otherwise be overlooked.
In the case of Hawaii, where diverse communities have shaped the local food scene, it's likely that Kapiolani Coffee Shop embraced these culinary influences to create a dish that resonates with both locals and visitors.
Why make this recipe?
Trying the Kapiolani Coffee Shop oxtail soup recipe is like embarking on a culinary journey that captures the essence of Hawaiian flavors and multicultural influences. Here are a few reasons to give it a try:
- Rich Cultural Fusion: The recipe blends the richness of oxtails with a harmonious mix of Asian and Hawaiian flavors, showcasing the diverse culinary heritage of the islands.
- Hearty and Comforting: Oxtail soup is known for its hearty and comforting nature. The slow-cooked oxtails, flavorful broth, and vibrant vegetables come together to create a satisfying and nourishing dish.
- Distinctive Flavors: The savory depth from seared oxtails, aromatic garlic, ginger, and the infusion of soy sauce and star anise create a distinctive flavor profile that sets this oxtail soup apart.
- Local Tradition: By trying this recipe, you're tapping into a local tradition. It's a dish that carries the spirit of community, warmth, and the Aloha spirit, making it a unique and authentic experience.
- Versatile Serving Options: Whether served over rice or noodles, this oxtail soup offers versatile serving options, allowing you to customize the dish to your liking.
- Homemade Goodness: There's something special about crafting this dish in your own kitchen. The process of slow cooking and infusing flavors allows you to appreciate the art of homemade goodness.
- Memorable Dining Experience: Beyond just a meal, the Kapiolani Coffee Shop oxtail soup offers a memorable dining experience, inviting you to savor the flavors of Hawaii and connect with its culinary history.
In essence, trying this recipe is not just about the dish; it's about immersing yourself in the tastes and traditions that make Hawaiian cuisine truly unique. It's an opportunity to bring a piece of Hawaii into your home and enjoy a culinary adventure that transcends ordinary meals.
What does Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup taste like?
The taste of Kapiolani Coffee Shop's oxtail soup is a delightful symphony of savory, umami-rich flavors with a touch of sweetness. The slow-cooked oxtails contribute a deep, meaty richness, while the aromatic blend of onions, garlic, and ginger adds layers of savory complexity.
The broth, a key player in this culinary masterpiece, embodies a balance of soy sauce and star anise, lending a subtle Asian influence to the dish. The daikon radish and carrots, simmered to perfection, infuse a mild sweetness and add a refreshing contrast to the hearty oxtails.
As you take a spoonful, you'll likely experience a harmonious combination of tender oxtail meat, flavorful broth, and crisp, perfectly cooked vegetables. The dish's warmth and comfort make it a culinary embrace, inviting you to savor the fusion of Hawaiian and Asian influences in every mouthful.
Kapiolani Coffee Shop's oxtail soup offers a taste that is not only satisfying but also a reflection of the diverse culinary heritage of Hawaii, creating a memorable and delicious dining experience.
What would you need for this recipe?
These are the ingredients needed to make Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup:
- Oxtails: The star of the dish, oxtails provide rich, flavorful meat that becomes tender and succulent through slow cooking.
- Onion: Adds a savory base to the broth and complements the meaty flavor of the oxtails.
- Garlic: Infuses a aromatic and savory essence to enhance the overall flavor of the soup.
- Ginger: Adds a hint of warmth and depth to the broth, complementing the other ingredients.
- Beef Broth: Forms the foundation of the soup, providing a savory and robust liquid for simmering the oxtails.
- Soy Sauce: Introduces a salty and umami element, contributing to the overall flavor profile.
- Star Anise: Enhances the broth with a subtle licorice-like flavor, common in Asian cuisine.
- Daikon Radish: Adds a mild sweetness and crisp texture to the soup.
- Carrots: Contributes sweetness and vibrant color to the dish while providing additional texture.
- Salt and Pepper (to taste): Seasoning agents that allow you to adjust the taste according to your preferences.
- Green Onions (for garnish): Adds a fresh and slightly pungent flavor as a finishing touch.
- Sesame Oil (optional): A dash of sesame oil at the end can enhance the richness of the soup.
- Large Pot: Substitute: Any sturdy, deep pot with a lid.
- Sharp Knife: Substitute: Kitchen shears or a multi-purpose knife for chopping and trimming.
- Cutting Board: Substitute: Any clean, flat surface suitable for chopping.
- Wooden Spoon or Ladle: Substitute: Heat-resistant plastic or silicone spoon for stirring and serving.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Substitute: Eyeballing measurements or using standard kitchen utensils for estimation.
- Grater: Substitute: A sharp knife for finely chopping ginger if you don't have a grater.
- Tongs: Substitute: Forks or chopsticks for handling oxtails during searing.
- Optional: Sesame Oil Dispenser: Substitute: Use a small spoon to add sesame oil in controlled amounts.
- Bowls for Serving: Substitute: Any deep serving dish or bowls you have available.
How to make Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup
Dive into a culinary adventure with our Kapiolani Coffee Shop-inspired Oxtail Soup! Savor rich flavors and Hawaiian warmth in every delectable spoonful. Unleash the chef in you!
- In a large pot, sear the oxtails over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Remove excess fat.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté until aromatic.
- Pour in the beef broth and soy sauce. Add star anise. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and let it simmer for about 2.5 to 3 hours or until the oxtails are tender.
- Add daikon radish and carrots. Simmer for an additional 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optionally, add a few drops of sesame oil for extra richness.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped green onions.
- 2.5 to 3 pounds oxtails, trimmed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- 1 daikon radish, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Sesame oil (optional)
How do you serve Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup recipe?
Serving Kapiolani Coffee Shop-inspired oxtail soup is the final act in bringing this delightful dish to your table. Here are the steps to serve it:
- Prepare Serving Bowls: Ensure your serving bowls are clean and ready. Warm them up if you prefer a hot presentation.
- Ladle Soup into Bowls: Using a ladle or a large spoon, carefully portion the oxtail soup into each serving bowl. Make sure to distribute the oxtails, vegetables, and broth evenly.
- Garnish with Green Onions: Sprinkle chopped green onions over the top of each bowl. This adds a fresh and slightly pungent flavor as a finishing touch.
- Optional: Drizzle with Sesame Oil: If desired, add a subtle richness by drizzling a few drops of sesame oil over each serving. This step is optional and can be adjusted based on personal preference.
- Serve Hot: Oxtail soup is best enjoyed piping hot. Serve immediately to preserve the warmth and flavors of the dish.
- Accompaniments (Optional): Consider serving the oxtail soup over steamed rice or noodles for a heartier meal. Provide chopsticks or a fork and spoon for a versatile dining experience.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 436 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup, Kapiolani Coffee Shop Oxtail Soup Recipe, Recipe, Easy, Homemade, Top rated
What to serve with?
Kapiolani Coffee Shop-inspired oxtail soup pairs well with various side dishes to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Here are some suggestions:
- Steamed Rice: Serve the oxtail soup over a bed of steamed white or brown rice. The rice complements the rich flavors of the soup and absorbs the delicious broth.
- Noodles: Try serving the oxtail soup with noodles, such as udon or rice noodles. It adds a different texture and makes the dish even heartier.
- Side Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette can provide a refreshing contrast to the hearty oxtail soup.
- Pickled Vegetables: Pickled cucumbers or other vegetables can add a tangy element that cuts through the richness of the soup.
- Stir-Fried Vegetables: Prepare a quick stir-fry with a mix of colorful vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, and snap peas. It adds freshness and crunch to the meal.
- Kimchi: The fermented, spicy kick of kimchi can be a flavorful and traditional accompaniment to oxtail soup.
- Fresh Fruit: Consider serving a bowl of fresh tropical fruit, such as pineapple or mango, to cleanse the palate.
- Crusty Bread or Dinner Rolls: Sop up the delicious broth with slices of crusty bread or enjoy warm dinner rolls on the side.
- Asian Dipping Sauces: Provide small bowls of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, or chili garlic sauce for dipping oxtail meat or adding extra flavor.
You're free to choose sides based on your preferences and the occasion. The goal is to enhance the overall dining experience by incorporating complementary textures and flavors.
My recommendations and tips
- Patience is Key: Oxtail soup benefits from slow cooking. Allow sufficient time for the oxtails to become tender and the flavors to meld.
- Searing for Flavor: Take the time to properly sear the oxtails. This step enhances the overall flavor of the soup by adding a rich, caramelized depth.
- Adjust Seasoning Gradually: Season the soup gradually and taste along the way. Oxtail soup tends to intensify in flavor as it cooks, so adjust salt and pepper levels carefully.
- Vegetable Texture: Add the daikon radish and carrots later in the cooking process to ensure they retain a bit of crunch and vibrant color.
- Garnish Just Before Serving: Garnish with green onions just before serving to maintain their freshness and add a burst of color and flavor.
- Optional Sesame Oil: If using sesame oil, start with a small amount. A little goes a long way, and you can always add more if desired.
- Customize Serving Style: Tailor the serving style to your preference. Whether over rice, noodles, or on its own, the soup is versatile and can adapt to different presentations.
- Make it Ahead: Oxtail soup often tastes even better the next day as the flavors continue to meld. Consider making it ahead and reheating for a convenient and flavorful meal.
- Explore Side Dish Options: Experiment with different side dishes to find your favorite combination. Rice, noodles, or a simple salad can complement the soup nicely.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Oxtails: Substitute with beef shank or short ribs for a similar rich and meaty flavor.
- Daikon Radish: Jicama or turnips can provide a similar crunchy texture.
- Soy Sauce: Tamari or liquid aminos can be used as a substitute for a gluten-free option.
- Star Anise: Chinese five-spice powder can be a replacement, but use it sparingly as it's a more concentrated blend.
- Ginger: Ground ginger can be used as a substitute, but fresh ginger is preferred for its vibrant flavor.
- Green Onions: Chives or thinly sliced red onions can provide a similar freshness.
In closing, Kapiolani Coffee Shop's oxtail soup recipe is more than a dish—it's a celebration of diverse flavors and culinary traditions.
Bring the warmth of Hawaii to your table and savor the delicious fusion crafted in every spoonful. With each bite, you've embarked on a journey through the vibrant tastes of the islands.
Now, armed with this recipe, let the aroma and rich heritage of Kapiolani Coffee Shop linger in your kitchen. Happy cooking and indulging in this delightful taste of Hawaiian hospitality!