Discover culinary magic with Shirley Chung's Scallion Pancake Recipe. Crispy, flavorful, and vegan! Unleash a taste sensation like never before. 🌱🥞 #ShirleyChung #ScallionPancakeRecipe
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: 6
- Calories: 150 calories
Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake
About this recipe
Shirley Chung's scallion pancakes are a culinary delight, blending tradition with a modern twist. These vegan wonders boast a chewy yet crispy texture, a testament to Chung's culinary finesse. The recipe is a dance of flavors, where the earthiness of scallions harmonizes with the subtle nuttiness of sesame oil, creating a symphony on the taste buds.
Although, this specific version is very basic for everyone to try. To embark on this scallion pancake adventure, you start by creating a simple yet magical dough. Flour and boiling water come together in a delicate embrace, forming the foundation for these savory delights. The dough, after a brief rendezvous of kneading and resting, transforms into a canvas eagerly awaiting the vibrant strokes of chopped scallions.
As you roll out the dough and sprinkle the green confetti of scallions, there's a sense of anticipation in the air—the promise of something extraordinary. The pancakes, once cooked to a golden perfection in a sizzling pan, emanate an irresistible aroma that beckons you to the table.
Shirley Chung's scallion pancakes transcend the boundaries of mere sustenance; they are a celebration of flavors, a nod to tradition, and a testament to the creativity infused into every fold and flip.
So, whether you're a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, these pancakes invite you to savor the culinary artistry that Shirley Chung brings to the table.
Origin of Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake recipe
I don't have specific details about Shirley Chung's scallion pancake recipe origin. Shirley Chung is a talented chef known for her participation in cooking competitions and her expertise in Asian cuisine, particularly Chinese and Taiwanese.
As we all know, recipes, especially those from chefs, often draw inspiration from personal experiences, cultural roots, or innovative twists on traditional dishes.
Why make this recipe?
Trying Shirley Chung's scallion pancake recipe is not just about making a tasty dish; it's about experiencing a culinary journey crafted by a skilled chef. Here's why you might want to give it a shot:
- Culinary Expertise: Shirley Chung is known for her culinary prowess, especially in Asian cuisine. Trying her recipe allows you to tap into her expertise and learn from a seasoned chef.
- Innovative Twist: Chefs often infuse their unique twists into traditional recipes. Shirley Chung's scallion pancake recipe could offer a fresh and innovative take on a classic, introducing you to new flavors and techniques.
- Cultural Fusion: Chung's background often involves a fusion of various culinary influences. This recipe might reflect a beautiful blend of flavors and techniques from different Asian cuisines, providing you with a delightful cross-cultural culinary experience.
- Sensory Delight: Scallion pancakes, when done right, are a symphony of textures and flavors—crispy, chewy, and bursting with the freshness of scallions. Chung's recipe may take this sensory experience to another level.
- Cooking Inspiration: Trying recipes from renowned chefs can be inspiring for your own culinary adventures. It might encourage you to experiment more in the kitchen, developing your cooking skills and creativity.
What does Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake taste like?
The taste of Shirley Chung's scallion pancake is an harmonious blend of flavors that reflects her culinary expertise. Scallion pancakes, in general, are known for their savory and slightly oniony taste, thanks to the green scallions incorporated into the dough.
Chung's recipe brings additional nuances to the palate. The dough is have a balance of textures, with a crispy exterior and a chewy interior. The use of sesame oil, a common ingredient in scallion pancake recipes, contribute a subtle nuttiness and richness to the overall flavor profile.
Additionally, the seasoning and cooking techniques employed by Chung elevate the taste, potentially offering a more complex and layered experience. It's the kind of dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with dipping sauces to enhance the flavors.
Meanwhile, to truly savor the taste of Shirley Chung's scallion pancake, it's an experience best discovered firsthand by preparing and enjoying the dish.
What would you need for this recipe?
These are the ingredients needed to make Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake:
- All-Purpose Flour: Forms the base of the pancake dough, providing structure and texture.
- Boiling Water: Combined with flour to create the dough. The hot water helps achieve the desired consistency.
- Chopped Scallions: Infuse the pancake with a fresh, oniony flavor and contribute to its signature appearance.
- Sesame Oil: Adds a distinctive nuttiness to the dough and enhances the overall flavor of the pancake.
- Vegetable Oil: Used for cooking the pancakes, imparting a golden, crispy exterior during the frying process.
- Soy Sauce (for dipping): An optional but common accompaniment that adds a savory element when used as a dipping sauce.
- Mixing Bowl: Substitute: Large mixing bowl or any bowl with enough space to combine and knead the dough.
- Rolling Pin: Substitute: Wine bottle or any cylindrical object suitable for rolling out the dough.
- Knife or Kitchen Scissors: Substitute: Regular scissors or any sharp knife for cutting scallions.
- Frying Pan: Substitute: Non-stick skillet or griddle.
- Cooking Spatula: Substitute: Any flat, heat-resistant utensil for flipping the pancakes.
- Brush (for Sesame Oil): Substitute: Back of a spoon or a clean pastry brush for applying sesame oil.
How to make Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake
Dive into culinary bliss with Shirley Chung's Vegan Scallion Pancake recipe! Elevate your taste buds with this crispy, savory masterpiece. Irresistible and easy to make! 🌱🥞 #VeganRecipes #ScallionPancake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Soy sauce for dipping
- Place the flour in a large bowl and gradually add the boiling water while stirring continuously until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth, then cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a thin circle.
- Brush the surface of each circle with sesame oil and sprinkle chopped scallions evenly.
- Roll the circles into cylinders, then coil each cylinder into a round dough ball.
- Flatten each ball into a pancake shape.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and cook each pancake until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with soy sauce for dipping.
How do you serve Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake recipe?
Serving Shirley Chung's scallion pancakes is as much about presentation as it is about taste. Here are steps to serve the scallion pancakes:
- Cook Pancakes to Perfection: Ensure the pancakes are cooked to a golden brown, with a crispy exterior and a tender interior.
- Cut into Wedges or Strips: Allow the pancakes to cool slightly, then use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut them into wedges or strips. This makes them easier to pick up and enjoy.
- Arrange on a Plate: Arrange the cut pancakes on a serving plate in an appealing manner. You can stack them or lay them out side by side.
- Garnish (Optional): Consider garnishing with additional chopped scallions or a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a decorative touch and added flavor.
- Prepare Dipping Sauce: If not using a pre-made sauce, you can prepare a simple dipping sauce with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and a touch of sesame oil. Place the sauce in a small bowl for dipping.
- Serve Warm: Scallion pancakes are best enjoyed warm. Serve them promptly to preserve the crispy texture.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 86 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake, Shirley Chung Scallion Pancake Recipe, Recipe, Easy, Homemade, Top rated
What to serve with?
Shirley Chung's scallion pancakes pair well with a variety of complementary dishes. Here are some suggestions for what you can serve with these delightful pancakes:
- Soy Dipping Sauce: Prepare a simple soy dipping sauce with soy sauce, rice vinegar, a touch of sesame oil, and perhaps a sprinkle of sesame seeds for added flavor.
- Hot Chili Oil: For those who enjoy a bit of heat, serve the scallion pancakes with a side of hot chili oil for dipping.
- Pickled Vegetables: Pickled cucumbers, radishes, or other crunchy vegetables provide a refreshing contrast to the savory pancakes.
- Asian Slaw: A light and crisp Asian slaw with a sesame-ginger dressing can be a refreshing side dish.
- Miso Soup: A warm bowl of miso soup with tofu and seaweed can complement the scallion pancakes, balancing textures and flavors.
- Stir-Fried Vegetables: A medley of stir-fried vegetables, such as broccoli, bell peppers, and snap peas, can add color and nutritional variety to the meal.
- Edamame: Steamed or boiled edamame sprinkled with sea salt serves as a simple and nutritious side.
- Tofu or Vegetable Dumplings: Steamed or pan-fried tofu or vegetable dumplings make for a delicious and cohesive Asian-inspired spread.
My recommendations and tips
- Fresh Scallions: Use fresh scallions for the best flavor. The vibrant green color and crisp texture of fresh scallions will enhance the overall appeal of the pancakes.
- Sesame Oil Quality: Opt for high-quality sesame oil. A good sesame oil can significantly elevate the flavor of the pancakes.
- Boiling Water Technique: When combining boiling water with the flour, add it gradually and stir continuously. This technique helps create a smooth and elastic dough.
- Resting the Dough: Allow the dough to rest for the recommended time. This step ensures proper hydration of the flour and contributes to the desirable texture of the pancakes.
- Rolling Thickness: Roll the dough to a consistent thickness. Too thin, and the pancakes might become too crispy; too thick, and they might not cook evenly.
- Even Scallion Distribution: Ensure an even distribution of scallions throughout the dough. This guarantees that every bite is infused with the delicious flavor of fresh scallions.
- Adjust Cooking Heat: Adjust the heat while cooking to achieve a crispy exterior without burning. Medium heat is generally suitable, but monitor the pancakes closely.
- Serve Immediately: Scallion pancakes are best enjoyed fresh and warm. Serve them promptly to preserve their delightful texture.
- Experiment with Dipping Sauces: Feel free to experiment with different dipping sauces. Soy-based sauces, chili oil, or even a tangy vinegar dip can complement the pancakes nicely.
- Get Creative: Don't hesitate to get creative with additional toppings or garnishes. Sesame seeds, chopped cilantro, or a drizzle of extra sesame oil can add extra flair.
Potential ingredients substitutes
If you're looking to make substitutions for Shirley Chung's scallion pancake recipe, here are some options:
- All-Purpose Flour: Substitute with whole wheat flour for a nuttier flavor or a gluten-free flour blend if you need a gluten-free option.
- Boiling Water: You can use warm water instead of boiling water. The key is to add it gradually to achieve the right dough consistency.
- Chopped Scallions: Green onions are the same as scallions, so you can interchange them. Additionally, you could experiment with other fresh herbs like chives for a different flavor.
- Sesame Oil: If you don't have sesame oil, try using another flavorful oil like peanut or vegetable oil. Toasted sesame oil can also work but has a more intense flavor.
- Vegetable Oil (for Cooking): Canola oil or any neutral oil with a high smoke point can be used for cooking the pancakes.
- Soy Sauce (for Dipping): Tamari or coconut aminos can be used as gluten-free alternatives. You can also experiment with other dipping sauces like a sweet chili sauce or a vinegar-based dip.
In conclusion, Shirley Chung's scallion pancake recipe is a culinary adventure worth undertaking.
From the first knead to the final crispy bite, the journey is a celebration of flavors and textures. Whether you're a seasoned chef or a kitchen enthusiast, these vegan delights promise a symphony of tastes that dance on your palate.
So, roll up your sleeves, embark on this gastronomic escapade, and savor the joy of creating a dish that not only delights the senses but also reflects the artistry of a talented chef. Cheers to good food and happy cooking!