Discover the Authentic Italian Flavor with Buca di Beppo Meatball Recipe - Perfect for Any Occasion!
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: Italian - American
- Category: Main Dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 16 meatballs
- Calories: 240 calories
Buca Di Beppo Meatball
About this recipe
Buca di Beppo's meatballs are definitely one of my all-time favorite dishes! They're so hearty and flavorful, and they really capture that classic Italian-American flavor that I love.
While we may not know the exact recipe that Buca di Beppo uses for their meatballs, there are a few things that we can infer about the dish.
For example, we know that they use a combination of ground beef and pork to give the meatballs a rich and meaty flavor, and that they use breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to help bind everything together.
I also love the fact that these meatballs are oven-baked, rather than fried, which makes them a bit healthier while still maintaining that delicious crispy exterior. And of course, they're always served with a generous portion of tomato sauce, which perfectly complements the savory meatball flavor.
Ultimately, I think that Buca di Beppo's meatballs are a true classic and a must-try dish for anyone who loves Italian-American cuisine. Whether you're enjoying them at the restaurant or trying to recreate the recipe at home, these meatballs are sure to be a hit!
Recipe origin and background
Buca di Beppo is an American restaurant chain that was founded in 1993. The restaurant specializes in Italian-American cuisine and is known for its family-style dishes and large portions.
While the exact origin of their meatball recipe is not publicly known, it is likely that the recipe was developed in-house by the restaurant's chefs.
Meatballs are a popular dish in Italian-American cuisine, and there are many variations of the recipe depending on the region or family that makes them.
Buca di Beppo's meatball recipe is likely a combination of traditional Italian ingredients and techniques with the addition of some American influences.
Why try this Buca Di Beppo Meatball recipe?
- Delicious flavor: These meatballs are packed with savory and aromatic flavors that are sure to satisfy your taste buds. The combination of ground beef and pork, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and parsley creates a deliciously complex and satisfying taste.
- Easy to make: This meatball recipe is relatively simple and easy to follow, making it a great option for beginner cooks or anyone looking for a quick and easy dinner option.
- Versatile: These meatballs can be served in a variety of ways, from classic spaghetti and meatballs to meatball subs or meatball pizzas. They can even be enjoyed on their own as a delicious appetizer.
- Authentic Italian-American taste: Buca di Beppo is known for its classic Italian-American cuisine, and this meatball recipe is no exception. By making these meatballs at home, you can enjoy the authentic taste of this beloved restaurant in the comfort of your own kitchen.
In short, this Buca di Beppo meatball recipe is a delicious and satisfying option for anyone who loves Italian-American cuisine and is looking for a flavorful and easy-to-make dinner option.
What does Buca Di Beppo Meatball taste like?
Buca di Beppo's meatballs are known for their rich and savory flavor. The combination of ground beef and pork gives the meatballs a meaty and robust taste, while the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs add a slightly nutty and crispy texture.
The garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in the recipe provide a flavorful and aromatic seasoning that gives the meatballs a slightly spicy kick.
When combined with the tomato sauce that the meatballs are usually served with, the taste becomes even more delicious and complex.
The sweet and tangy tomato sauce perfectly complements the savory and slightly spicy flavor of the meatballs, resulting in a truly mouthwatering combination.
Overall, Buca di Beppo's meatballs are a wonderful blend of classic Italian-American flavors, with a satisfying meaty texture and a deliciously seasoned taste that is sure to leave your taste buds wanting more.
What is in Buca Di Beppo Meatball?
- Ground beef: This is the main ingredient in the meatballs, and provides a meaty and savory flavor. It's important to use a high-quality ground beef with a moderate fat content for the best results.
- Ground pork: This ingredient is typically combined with ground beef to provide additional flavor and moisture to the meatballs. Similar to the beef, it's important to use a good quality ground pork.
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs are used to bind the meatball mixture together and add some texture. You can use either fresh or dried breadcrumbs for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese provides a nutty and slightly salty flavor to the meatballs, and also helps to bind everything together.
- Fresh parsley: Fresh parsley adds a pop of freshness and color to the meatballs, and also provides a mild herby flavor.
- Eggs: The eggs are used as a binder to help hold the meatball mixture together.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a deliciously pungent flavor to the meatballs, and is a classic ingredient in Italian-American cuisine.
- Salt: Salt is used to season the meatballs and bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Black pepper: Black pepper adds a slightly spicy and aromatic flavor to the meatballs.
- Red pepper flakes: Red pepper flakes are optional, but they add a subtle heat to the meatballs that complements the other flavors.
- Milk: Milk is added to the meatball mixture to help keep the meatballs moist and tender.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Mixing bowl: A mixing bowl is needed to combine the meatball ingredients. Any medium to large-sized mixing bowl will work.
- Baking sheet: A baking sheet is needed to cook the meatballs in the oven. You can use a standard baking sheet or a rimmed baking sheet.
- Parchment paper: Parchment paper is optional, but can be used to line the baking sheet and prevent the meatballs from sticking.
- Meat thermometer: A meat thermometer is useful for ensuring that the meatballs are cooked to the proper temperature. You can also use a digital instant-read thermometer.
- Non-stick cooking spray: Non-stick cooking spray can be used to lightly grease the baking sheet and prevent the meatballs from sticking. Alternatively, you can use a bit of vegetable oil or butter.
- Mixing spoon: A mixing spoon or spatula is needed to mix the meatball ingredients together.
- Food processor: A food processor can be used to finely chop the parsley and garlic for the meatballs. Alternatively, you can use a sharp knife and cutting board to finely chop the ingredients by hand.
How to make Buca Di Beppo Meatball
Indulge in the authentic Italian taste with Buca di Beppo meatball recipe. Easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Try it now!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and ground pork.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until the mixture is moist but not too wet.
- Use your hands to form the meat mixture into large meatballs, about 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through and browned on the outside.
- Serve with your favorite tomato sauce and pasta. Enjoy!
How to serve Buca Di Beppo Meatball
- Choose your serving dish: Meatballs can be served on a platter or a large shallow bowl. Choose a dish that is large enough to hold all the meatballs without them being too crowded.
- Add some sauce: Buca di Beppo meatballs are traditionally served with a tomato-based sauce. You can use your favorite marinara sauce, or make your own by simmering canned tomatoes with garlic, onion, and herbs. Spoon some sauce over the meatballs, and reserve the rest to serve alongside.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese: Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top of the meatballs to add an extra layer of flavor.
- Garnish with fresh parsley: Chopped fresh parsley adds a pop of color and freshness to the meatballs. Sprinkle some over the top before serving.
- Serve with pasta: Buca di Beppo meatballs are traditionally served with spaghetti or another type of pasta. Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, then toss with some of the reserved tomato sauce. Serve alongside the meatballs.
- Enjoy! Buca di Beppo meatballs are best enjoyed hot and fresh, so dig in and enjoy!
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 564 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Buca Di Beppo Meatball, Buca Di Beppo Meatball Recipe, Recipe, Top rated
What to serve Buca Di Beppo Meatball with
Buca di Beppo meatballs can be served with a variety of sides to make a complete meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Pasta: Meatballs and pasta are a classic combination, so consider serving your Buca di Beppo meatballs with spaghetti, fettuccine, or another type of pasta. Toss the pasta with tomato sauce, olive oil, or butter to complement the flavors of the meatballs.
- Bread: A crusty Italian bread is a great addition to any meatball meal. You can serve sliced bread alongside the meatballs to mop up the sauce or make garlic bread by spreading butter and garlic on top of the bread and baking it in the oven.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a light dressing can balance out the richness of the meatballs. Consider serving a Caesar salad or a mixed greens salad with a vinaigrette.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or carrots can add some color and nutrients to your meal. Toss the vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them in the oven while the meatballs are cooking.
- Wine: Buca di Beppo meatballs pair well with a variety of wines. A full-bodied red like Chianti or Zinfandel can complement the meaty flavors of the meatballs, while a crisp white like Pinot Grigio can cut through the richness of the tomato sauce.
My recommendations and tips
- Use high-quality ingredients: The flavor of your meatballs will depend on the quality of the ingredients you use. Choose fresh, high-quality ground beef and pork, and grate your own Parmesan cheese for the best results.
- Don't overmix the meat: When you're mixing the meatball ingredients together, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can make the meatballs tough and dry. Mix the ingredients together until they are just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop: Using a cookie scoop or a small ice cream scoop can help you portion out your meatballs evenly. This will ensure that they cook evenly and look uniform.
- Bake the meatballs: Instead of frying the meatballs on the stovetop, consider baking them in the oven. This is a healthier option, and it also makes it easier to cook a large batch of meatballs at once.
- Let the meatballs rest: After you've cooked the meatballs, let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making the meatballs more tender and flavorful.
- Store leftovers properly: If you have leftover meatballs, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze the meatballs for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply thaw the meatballs in the refrigerator overnight, then warm them up in the microwave or oven.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Ground meat: You can substitute the ground beef and ground pork with ground turkey, ground chicken, or a mixture of ground meats.
- Cheese: If you don't have Parmesan cheese, you can substitute it with Pecorino Romano cheese or another hard Italian cheese.
- Breadcrumbs: If you don't have breadcrumbs, you can use crushed saltine crackers, panko breadcrumbs, or even cornflakes that have been finely crushed.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk in this recipe, including almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
- Egg: If you're allergic to eggs or don't have any on hand, you can use a flax egg or a chia egg as a substitute. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens. To make a chia egg, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
- Tomato sauce: If you don't have tomato sauce, you can use canned crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes instead. You can also use a marinara sauce, a pasta sauce, or a homemade tomato sauce.
- Herbs and spices: You can use different herbs and spices to customize the flavor of your meatballs. For example, you can add fresh basil, oregano, or thyme to the meat mixture. You can also add some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, or some smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking: The recipe calls for a specific amount of salt and pepper, but you can adjust these seasonings to your taste. If you prefer your meatballs to be more seasoned, feel free to add more salt and pepper or other herbs and spices.
- Use a meat thermometer to check doneness: To make sure your meatballs are cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The USDA recommends cooking ground beef and pork to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Customize the size of your meatballs: The recipe calls for 2-inch meatballs, but you can make them smaller or larger if you prefer. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Don't skip the resting time: Letting the meatballs rest for a few minutes before serving is important, as it allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. This makes the meatballs more tender and flavorful.
- Experiment with different sauces: While the recipe calls for tomato sauce, you can serve the meatballs with different sauces to change up the flavor. For example, you can serve them with a creamy Alfredo sauce or a spicy marinara sauce. Be creative and have fun!
In conclusion, the Buca di Beppo meatball recipe is a delicious and hearty dish that's perfect for any occasion.
Whether you're cooking for your family, hosting a dinner party, or just craving some Italian comfort food, this recipe is sure to satisfy.
With its simple ingredients, easy preparation, and customizable flavor, it's no wonder that Buca di Beppo's meatballs have become a favorite for so many people.
So why not give this recipe a try and experience the authentic taste of Italy in your own home?