Deliciously Healthy: Try the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie Recipe for a Nutritious Twist on a Classic Dish
- Publisher: Lofty Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Category: Main Dish
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 240 calories
Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie
About this recipe
Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie is a delicious and nutritious recipe that follows the guidelines of the Optavia program. It's a flavorful take on a classic cheeseburger, but with a healthier twist.
The recipe includes lean ground beef, fresh vegetables, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, eggs, and low-fat milk to create a satisfying and filling dish.
To make the pie, you start by browning lean ground beef in a skillet along with finely chopped onion and minced garlic. This combination adds flavor and depth to the dish. Next, you add a medley of vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini, which not only contribute to the taste but also provide added nutrients and fiber.
Once the ground beef and vegetables are cooked, they are layered in a pie dish. A layer of reduced-fat cheddar cheese is sprinkled on top, which gives the dish a deliciously cheesy and melty component.
In a separate bowl, eggs are whisked together with low-fat milk, seasoned with salt and pepper, and poured over the beef, vegetable, and cheese layers.
The pie is then baked in the oven until it's set and the top turns golden brown. The result is a mouthwatering cheeseburger pie that's packed with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients. It's a wholesome and satisfying meal option that fits within the Optavia Lean and Green program guidelines.
The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie can be enjoyed as a main dish, perfect for lunch or dinner. It falls under the American cuisine category, as it takes inspiration from the classic flavors of a cheeseburger.
In terms of calories, the recipe yields approximately 6 servings, with each serving containing around 240-270 calories. It's important to note that the calorie content may vary slightly depending on the specific ingredients used. To ensure accuracy, it's advisable to check the nutrition information of the specific brands and ingredients you use.
The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie is a flavorful, satisfying, and nutrient-dense recipe that aligns with the Optavia program's goals of promoting healthy eating habits and weight management.
Recipe origin and background
The Optavia Lean and Green program is a weight management and health program that focuses on providing nutritious meals to promote a healthy lifestyle. The specific recipe for Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie is a creation inspired by the program's guidelines and principles.
The concept of incorporating lean protein, vegetables, and balanced ingredients into a pie-like dish is not unique to Optavia. It draws inspiration from various recipes and cooking styles that aim to create healthier versions of traditional comfort foods.
By combining the flavors and elements of a cheeseburger with wholesome ingredients, Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie offers a nutritious twist on a classic dish.
The Optavia program, including its Lean and Green recipes, is designed to support individuals in achieving their weight management goals and developing sustainable healthy eating habits.
The recipes within the program are carefully crafted to provide balanced nutrition while emphasizing portion control and the inclusion of lean proteins and vegetables.
While the specific origins of the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe may not have a distinct historical background, it is part of a larger movement towards creating healthier versions of favorite dishes. The aim is to offer individuals a way to enjoy familiar flavors while making healthier choices and maintaining a balanced diet.
Ultimately, the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe is a result of combining nutritional guidelines with culinary creativity to create a tasty and satisfying meal option that aligns with the program's principles.
Why try this Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe?
- Healthier Alternative: The recipe is designed to provide a healthier version of a classic cheeseburger by incorporating lean ground beef, vegetables, and reduced-fat cheese. It offers a balanced combination of protein, fiber, and nutrients while reducing the overall calorie and fat content compared to a traditional cheeseburger.
- Weight Management: If you are following the Optavia program or looking to manage your weight, the Lean and Green recipes, including the cheeseburger pie, are specifically designed to support your goals. They provide a satisfying and nutritious meal option while helping you stay on track with your weight management journey.
- Nutritional Balance: The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie includes lean protein from ground beef, a variety of vegetables, and a source of dairy through reduced-fat cheese. This combination offers a good balance of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, and fats) along with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Portion Control: Following the Optavia program involves practicing portion control, and the recipe provides guidelines for serving sizes. By portioning the pie into six servings, you can have a satisfying meal while maintaining proper portion sizes, which can contribute to better overall calorie management.
- Flavorful and Comforting: The recipe brings together the flavors of a cheeseburger in a unique and delicious way. The combination of savory ground beef, melted cheese, and a medley of vegetables creates a tasty and satisfying dish. It offers comfort and familiarity while adhering to the Optavia program's principles.
- Versatility: The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie can be customized to suit your preferences. You can experiment with different vegetables, herbs, or spices to add your own personal touch and create variations of the recipe.
Do note that, before making any dietary changes or trying a new recipe, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to ensure that it aligns with your specific nutritional needs and goals.
What does Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie taste like?
Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie offers a delightful and savory taste that captures the essence of a classic cheeseburger. The combination of flavors and ingredients creates a delicious and satisfying experience.
The lean ground beef, cooked with onions and garlic, provides a rich and savory base. The beef is seasoned and cooked to perfection, delivering a meaty and hearty flavor that is reminiscent of a traditional cheeseburger patty.
The addition of vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini enhances the taste profile with their natural sweetness and slight crunch. These veggies not only add texture but also contribute a fresh and vibrant element to the dish.
The layer of reduced-fat cheddar cheese on top of the beef and vegetables brings a creamy and indulgent component. As it bakes, the cheese melts and forms a golden and slightly crispy crust, adding a satisfying cheesy flavor that complements the other ingredients.
The custard-like mixture of eggs and low-fat milk poured over the layers adds a smooth and creamy consistency to the pie. It binds the ingredients together and infuses the dish with a comforting and comforting texture.
When all the flavors combine and meld during the baking process, the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie creates a harmonious blend of savory, cheesy, and slightly sweet tastes. The result is a balanced and delicious pie that captures the essence of a cheeseburger while providing a nutritious and satisfying meal.
The taste of the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie can be described as savory, hearty, and comforting, with a delightful combination of meaty, cheesy, and vegetable flavors that come together to create a satisfying and enjoyable dining experience.
What is in Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie?
- Lean Ground Beef: Look for ground beef with at least 93% lean meat to reduce the fat content while still providing protein.
- Onion: Finely chopped onion adds flavor and aroma to the pie.
- Garlic: Minced garlic enhances the savory taste of the dish.
- Mushrooms: Sliced mushrooms contribute a meaty texture and earthy flavor.
- Bell Peppers: Chopped bell peppers add a sweet and crunchy element to the pie.
- Zucchini: Chopped zucchini provides additional nutrients and moisture to the dish.
- Reduced-Fat Cheddar Cheese: Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese adds a deliciously cheesy component to the pie while reducing the fat content compared to regular cheddar cheese.
- Eggs: Whisked eggs are used to create a custard-like mixture that binds the ingredients together and adds a creamy texture.
- Low-Fat Milk: Low-fat milk is combined with the eggs to create the custard mixture and adds richness to the pie.
- Salt and Pepper: These common seasonings are used to enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Cooking Spray: Used to grease the pie dish and prevent sticking.
Equipment required for this recipe
- Skillet: A skillet or frying pan is used to cook the ground beef, onions, garlic, and vegetables. If you don't have a skillet, you can use a regular frying pan as a substitute.
- Mixing Bowl: A mixing bowl is needed to whisk together the eggs and milk for the custard mixture. If you don't have a mixing bowl, any large bowl that can accommodate the ingredients will work.
- Pie Dish: A 9-inch pie dish is used to assemble and bake the pie. If you don't have a pie dish, you can use a similarly sized baking dish or even a deep round cake pan as a substitute.
- Whisk: A whisk is needed to thoroughly combine the eggs and milk for the custard mixture. If you don't have a whisk, you can use a fork or a fork-like kitchen utensil to mix the ingredients together.
- Cooking Spray: Cooking spray is used to grease the pie dish and prevent sticking. If you don't have cooking spray, you can lightly coat the pie dish with a small amount of cooking oil or use a brush to apply a thin layer of oil.
- Oven: The pie needs to be baked in an oven at 375°F (190°C). If you don't have an oven, you can try adapting the recipe for stovetop cooking by cooking the beef and vegetables, then adding the custard mixture and covering the pan to cook until set.
How to make Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie
Savor a healthier twist on a classic with the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe. Packed with lean protein and veggies, it's a guilt-free delight!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (at least 93% lean)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet with the ground beef. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers, and chopped zucchini to the skillet. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and low-fat milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Spread the ground beef and vegetable mixture evenly in the prepared pie dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the beef and vegetables.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over the cheese and other ingredients in the pie dish.
- Place the pie dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the pie is set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
How to serve Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie
- Cooling Time: Once the pie is baked, it's important to let it cool for a few minutes before serving. This allows the pie to set and makes it easier to slice.
- Slicing: Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the pie into individual portions. Aim for six equal-sized slices.
- Plating: Transfer each slice of the pie onto individual plates or serving dishes. Use a spatula or a pie server to lift and transfer the slices without breaking them.
- Garnishing (optional): If desired, you can garnish the pie slices with a sprinkle of fresh herbs like parsley or chives for added color and freshness. It's purely optional but can enhance the presentation.
- Side Dish: Consider serving the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie with a side dish or salad to create a well-rounded meal. Some ideas are written below.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 635 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie, Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie Recipe, Recipe, Top rated
What to serve Optavia Lean And Green Cheeseburger Pie with
The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie can be served with a variety of complementary side dishes to create a balanced and satisfying meal. Here are a few options that go well with the pie:
- Green Salad: A simple green salad with fresh lettuce or mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a light vinaigrette can provide a refreshing and nutritious accompaniment to the pie.
- Steamed Vegetables: Serve the pie alongside a medley of steamed vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. This adds additional fiber, vitamins, and minerals to the meal.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Roasted sweet potato wedges or cubes make for a tasty and nutritious side dish. They add a touch of sweetness and provide additional fiber and antioxidants.
- Whole Grain Side: Consider pairing the pie with a side of whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat couscous. These grains offer complex carbohydrates and fiber, which can help create a more filling and satisfying meal.
- Pickles or Pickled Vegetables: Adding a side of pickles or pickled vegetables can provide a tangy and flavorful contrast to the savory pie. These options can add a burst of acidity and crunch to the meal.
Remember, when choosing side dishes, it's important to keep in mind portion sizes and the overall nutritional balance of the meal. The goal is to create a meal that incorporates lean protein, vegetables, whole grains (if desired), and appropriate portion sizes as recommended by the Optavia program.
My recommendations and tips
- Follow the Optavia Guidelines: If you are following the Optavia program, it's important to adhere to the specific guidelines and portion sizes recommended by the program. This ensures that the recipe aligns with your goals and nutritional needs.
- Choose Lean Ground Beef: Opt for lean ground beef with at least 93% lean meat. This helps reduce the fat content while still providing protein. You can also consider substituting the beef with lean ground turkey or chicken if preferred.
- Customize with Vegetables: Feel free to customize the recipe by adding or substituting vegetables based on your preferences. You can include other options like spinach, diced tomatoes, or even grated carrots for added flavor and nutritional variety.
- Don't Overcook: Be mindful not to overcook the pie, as it may result in a dry texture. Follow the recommended baking time and keep an eye on the pie while it's in the oven to ensure it is cooked through but still moist.
- Let it Cool: Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes after baking. This will help the pie set and make it easier to slice without falling apart.
- Store and Reheat: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The pie can be reheated in the oven at a low temperature or in the microwave in individual portions for a quick and convenient meal.
- Serve with Balanced Sides: Consider serving the pie with a variety of fresh and nutritious sides to create a well-rounded meal. Choose options like a green salad, steamed vegetables, or whole grains to provide additional nutrients and fiber.
- Portion Control: Keep portion sizes in mind when serving the pie. Stick to the recommended serving size of approximately 6 slices to maintain proper portion control and calorie management.
Potential ingredients substitutes
- Ground Meat Substitute: If you prefer not to use beef, you can substitute it with lean ground turkey, chicken, or even plant-based alternatives like textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu crumbles, or tempeh.
- Cheese Substitute: Instead of reduced-fat cheddar cheese, you can opt for reduced-fat or part-skim mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, or even a plant-based cheese alternative like dairy-free cheddar or mozzarella-style cheese.
- Vegetable Substitutions: The recipe allows for flexibility in the choice of vegetables. If you don't have mushrooms, bell peppers, or zucchini, you can substitute them with other vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli, or diced tomatoes. Feel free to use your preferred vegetables or those that are readily available to you.
- Milk Substitute: If you need a non-dairy or lactose-free option, you can replace the low-fat milk with unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or any other non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Seasonings and Spices: The recipe calls for salt and pepper, but you can add other seasonings and spices to suit your taste preferences. Consider adding herbs like oregano, thyme, or paprika for additional flavor.
- Optavia Program: The Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe is designed specifically for the Optavia program, which is a weight management and health program. The program involves following a structured meal plan and incorporating Lean and Green meals into your daily routine. The program provides guidance and support for individuals seeking to achieve their weight management goals.
- Portion Control: The Optavia Lean and Green program emphasizes portion control to help with weight management. It's important to adhere to the recommended serving size for the pie, which is approximately six slices. Following portion control guidelines can contribute to a balanced and calorie-controlled meal.
- Individualized Nutritional Needs: While the Optavia program offers general guidelines, it's essential to consider your individual nutritional needs, preferences, and any dietary restrictions you may have. Consulting with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian can provide personalized advice and ensure the recipe aligns with your specific requirements.
- Physical Activity: Alongside following a nutritious meal plan, incorporating regular physical activity is important for overall health and weight management. Engaging in regular exercise, as recommended by your healthcare provider, can complement the Optavia program and contribute to achieving your goals.
- Sustainability: The Optavia program is designed to promote healthy habits and long-term lifestyle changes. It's important to approach the program with a focus on sustainable practices and view it as a tool to develop healthier eating patterns and overall well-being.
- Recipe Modifications: Feel free to modify the recipe to suit your taste preferences or dietary needs. You can experiment with ingredient substitutions, adjust seasonings, or incorporate additional vegetables to make it more personalized and enjoyable for you.
Remember, while the Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe offers a nutritious option, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before starting any specific diet program or making significant changes to your eating habits. They can provide personalized guidance based on your unique needs and help you make informed decisions about your health and nutrition.
Indulge in the flavorful and nutritious Optavia Lean and Green Cheeseburger Pie recipe. With its lean protein, veggies, and balanced ingredients, it's a satisfying choice for a healthier meal. Try it today and enjoy a guilt-free dining experience!